Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next day, after school, I went to Grandma's shop and brought my Book of Shadows with me so she could read through it. There were no customers when I entered the store, and Grandma was sitting in a wooden chair near the register reading an ancient-looking tome.

"Hi, Lollipop!" she said, getting up and coming over to give me a hug. "How was your day?"

"It was good," I replied, following her back behind the counter.

I reached into my bag and pulled out my book, handing it to her.

"Wonderful! Did you already write your spell?"

I nodded.

Grandma flipped open the book and began perusing the pages, while I wandered around the store feeling a bit self-conscious.

"I can't believe this," I heard her say.

"What?" I asked, wondering instantly what I'd done wrong.

"How did you know the correct ingredients for your spell and the proper moon phase?"

"I don't know. It just seemed like the thing to do," I explained to her, feeling a moment of glee that I'd done something right. "A white candle seemed pure, and aloe is known for its healing. As far as the moon goes, I have no idea where that came from," I added, laughing.

"Well, it's a very good spell," Grandma said. "Simple, yet to the point. I also find it very enlightening that you wrote it specifically for Vance."

"He's very important to me."

"I've noticed the connection. He's a good kid, and the two of you have good karma together," she replied with a smile.

"Well, he still worries about the negative energy attached to him. He's afraid he'll do something to hurt me or my family."

"I wouldn't brush off his worries. It's a legitimate concern," Grandma agreed. "He'll probably always have some sort of attraction to the dark side. I guess the important thing is, he doesn't want to be that way. As long as he's fighting it, then he's progressing." She paused then, taking another glance at my book. "I think you should give him a call, and tell him to come down here."

"Okay," I said, all of a sudden wanting to test his proclamation that I called to him mentally.

Grandma handed me the phone, but I denied it.

"I want to try something else," I said. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and centered the energies running inside me before speaking.

"Vance, come," I said, though I felt extremely foolish doing it. I opened my eyes and looked at Grandma.

"Has that worked before?" she asked, seeming skeptical.

"I've never tried it," I said, laughing. "Vance claims I subconsciously call to him. I want to see if there's any validity to his claims."

"He says you call him?"

"I guess, when I have bad dreams and stuff he says he can hear me calling him," I explained. "And he said something yesterday about being able to hear my thoughts, but we were interrupted before I could ask him anything further"

"Was this before or after you joined the coven?" she asked.

"Before," I replied. "I've slept like a baby ever since my initiation."

"That's interesting. What were your dreams like?"

"They're hard to explain—this thick intense fog creeps in and envelopes me. It scares me. There's presence that comes with it. I don't know what it is, but it feels dark and ominous—creepy. I always run, afraid something is chasing me. I usually wake myself up, except for the last time. Vance appeared in my dream and told me to wake up."