Tests

"Any results?" I ask as I walk into the laboratory

Po's frowning at a hologram, trying to figure out something. Neeta and Jeremiah look completely drained out, leaning back in their chairs, and Lynn looks tired too. Her usually perfect short red hair is a mess, and she has dark circles under her green eyes.

Lynn looks away.

I nod. I didn't expect anything anyway. It's been almost two days and we haven't been able to figure out anything.

"Po , Neeta you should take a break. I'll bring in Niklaus, Jen and Tyler. We'll see if we can find any changes." I say handing a cup of coffee to Po.

"It's fine." He mumbles and continues staring at the screen.

"No it's not. We can handle it, you get some rest."

"NO!" He raises his voice, "EVERY TIME WE TAKE A BREAK, MORE PEOPLE DIE!"

I take a step back.

"Test subject one died last night." Jeremiah mumbles.

Oh shit. No wonder he's so pissed. We don't know what we're looking for, there are no major symptoms, no clues. We're blindly just trying to find a cure for something we don't know. And we're running out of time.

Chiro and Niklaus walk in . Chiro's smile vanishes when he sees our faces.

"Bad news?" he asks hesitantly.

Jeremiah walks out without a second glance. Lynn sighs, giving him a worried look.

"Yes. Test subject one killed herself while we were taking a break last night.." Neeta replies, rubbing her eyes.

Niklaus raises his eyebrows and I notice him gulping, " You should get some sleep",he says gently."You too Po."

Neeta gives him a faint smile. "Think I can't handle the pressure Superman?"

Superman. I've heard that name but can't recall from where. Either way, it makes him blush.

Niklaus grins,running a hand through his hair.

"Sorry I'm late", Jen walks in panting. She looks like she's just got out of bed, in her pajama bottoms and messy hair.

"In time to miss the bad news." Lynn says getting up,"Call me if you find anything."

Neeta follows her out. Po after draining his coffee cup, walks out rejected, after we promise him we would call him if anything happens.

I walk towards the glass door of the sanatorium, the first bed is empty, it's sheets clean. No signs showing it was once occupied.

The boy and the second girl look like they're sleeping, but I think that they're just sedated. I can hear the beeps from the machines hooked onto them. The only change we've seen is increase in their blood pressure or heart rate during their panic attacks.

I turn around to see Tyler and Zeke enter the room. Zeke's carrying a few portable hologram ports.

He opens the first one, showing us a video of test subject one, right before her death. She starts spasming, her bloodshot eyes wide with fear. She's trying to say something, but she's unable to form words. Her hands move towards her neck, squeezing it. She's choking herself, gasping for air,trying to gain control over her own actions. A few seconds later the light leaves her eyes and she stops shaking, the alarmed expression still scarred on her face, her hands slack around her neck.

I can feel a lump forming in the base of my throat. I look away.

"We need to really think here guys." Niklaus says, "What's making them so scared?"