Transcript

We haven't heard from or seen Zeke, Lynn or Jeremiah since day before yesterday. Nor have we been able to get in touch with Judith. And they don't live in the building, so we don't know where they are. 

Zeke asked us to keep test subject three in check till he contacts us, sedate her only when things get completely out of hand, but otherwise, study her brain functioning. We've been taking turns in pairs to stay in the laboratory, and keep an eye on the hormonal secretion. 

"Cortisol secretion's rising again." Niklaus says, his voice interrupting my thoughts. 

I push my stool towards the hologram port. The numbers are rising at an alarming rate, and the now familiar beeping sound fills the room. 

"I'll get the sedative ready." He says moving towards the sanatorium. 

I give him an urgent nod and study the vitals. After another five minutes we end up sedating her.

Niklaus lays his head on the table behind us and stares at the ceiling. I hear him sigh.

"Are you okay?"

"This is going nowhere. We're just sixteen or seventeen, I don't even know. "He runs his fingers through his hair before turning towards me. "Do you see any differences yet? I mean, we're supposed to be ageing right?" 

I shake my head. "Nothing yet. I think we'll only be able to make out any difference after we've aged a significant number of years?" I say uncertainly. "We'll ask Lynn, when we find her."

If we do.

Niklaus seems to have read my thoughts. "Where are they? I thought they wanted our help finding a cure?"

I  shrug. I can't seem to figure out what's going on either.

"At first I thought they would want to study us and then use that research to make a new boost. But I guess they just needed our help finding out what the disease does. I mean we're not scientists." I spin around in my stool.

"What you first said makes more sense. This whole help us thing doesn't. We're just kids, THEM has plenty of good scientists?" 

I nod, but then brush off the thought.

"I'm not complaining, I want to spend my last days doing something fun not spending time with people who have literally lost their minds. No offence", I say looking at him.

He grins at me. "I don't blame you. I've always wanted to see the other sub-states-Keeton,Aliria,Flembure-I really don't care which. I know we aren't allowed to leave, but if I had a choice I wouldn't be here."

I've heard about the other sub states, but I can never imagine how they would actually look. Xyre's always been my home, I guess it always will. Comforting? Not really. Not after Zeke's outburst yesterday, which made me doubt THEM. And I can't help but wonder if they are who we think they are? Can we depend on them?

Po and Chiro walk in, Po's carrying mugs of coffee which he places in front of us. "How's she doing?"

"No changes."I say reaching for a mug.

"Which is good or bad?"Chiro asks sitting on a stool.

"I'm guessing good."Niklaus replies. 

Po nods. He's examining the diagram of her amygdala. "It's grown."

We all move to look at the screen, he's right. The parasite has increased in length, coiling around the left amygdala. Po turns the hologram, so that we're looking at the right side of the brain now. We see a second but smaller looking parasite entwined around the right amygdala.