12.

Another week flew by and Hunter was still ignoring me. Part of me thought it was a good thing since he no longer bullied or bothered me, but another part of me was empty. A huge void had formed and I couldn't quite understand why it was happening. I had decided to pay him a visit but I didn't have the guts to go to his place. Hunter's silent treatment was driving me crazy.

Every night before I slept, I would think about him. About Hunter. Not because I had feelings for him, but because I still felt extremely guilty for slapping him.

My phone beeped and I checked to see a notification from Facebook. I had received a new message. Quickly I opened the app, hoping for it to be Hunter and it was!

Hunter Reyes: I am only messaging you to ask if you've talked to Avery? She hasn't been answering my calls and she isn't at home either. I'm worried about her so if you know where she is so let me know, thanks.

I was glad to see that he had messaged me. It had gotten so weird without Hunter's usual nagging.

Patricia Smith: No I haven't seen her. Idk where she is.

Hunter Reyes: ok thanks.

Patricia Smith : hunter I am really sorry

Hunter Reyes: for what?

Patricia Smith: for you know slapping you the other day

Hunter Reyes: it's cool.

Patricia Smith: No its not. You've been ignoring and avoiding me

Hunter Reyes: So? You have Mac now

Patricia Smith: Is that what this is about?

I couldn't believe it. He was acting like a complete jealous jackass. Or maybe he was upset that I was not miserable anymore.

Hunter Reyes: No?

Patricia Smith: Can't you just go back to normal?

Hunter Reyes: I am normal.

That moment I wanted to kill him. That used to be the first thing on my to do list.

Patricia Smith: No you aren't

Hunter Reyes: Sounds like someone misses me

My cheeks heated up and I puffed them hiding my blush. Its not like he could see me but it was embarrassing because he was right.

Patricia Smith: A little

Hunter Reyes: That wasn't so difficult now was it ;)

Patricia Smith: Screw you!

Hunter Reyes: don't worry Flabby, i forgive you for slapping me :)

Before this conversation could get anymore awkward, I quickly said goodnight and turned off the wifi on my phone.

"Where were you last night?" I asked Avery the next day after school.

"What do you mean?" She looked confused. Mac was busy texting away in his phone while I 'interrogated' her.

"Hunter asked me if you were with me," I sighed. Mac quickly looked at me and Avery frowned.

"He broke up with me 3 days ago," Avery replied. "We haven't seen each other since."

I gulped. So he had just made up an excuse to message me.

"What else did you talk about?" Mac asked, shoving his phone into his pocket.

"N-nothing," I don't why I was getting so nervous. Its not like I had done anything wrong.

"Are you sure Patty?" Avery raised her eyebrows at me and I nodded. "See you guys tomorrow then."

We waved goodbye to her and got into Mac's car.

"So you and Hunter are friends again?" Mac scoffed starting the engine.

"We were never friends," I said blandly.

"You're so naive sometimes..."

Mac's voice was drowned out by my thoughts. I missed Dad. Things would have been so different if he was here. Mom wouldn't be off marrying some loser, I wouldn't have felt this huge, aching void inside of me. Above all, I would have been happy. Tears were burning in my eyes, but I held them back

"Are you even listening?" Mac's voice sounded angry. "Or are you thinking about him?"

"What are you talking about?" I said confusingly. It was so difficult to hide the sadness in my voice.

"Hunter ofcourse."

"Can you please stop acting like a jealous boyfriend?" I snapped.

"Excuse me?" he glanced at me with a stern look.

"There's nothing going on between me and Hunter. Get the hell out with your insecurity that I will dump you for him," I rolled my eyes. The car jolted to a stop and it wasn't until he looked at me that I realized what I had said.

"What did you say?" he asked, looking at me seriously.

"I-I didn't mean to," I answered covering my face with my hands.

"Get off my car," his voice sounded firm.

"Mac but.."

"Get off," he repeated opening the door of the car. Anger boiled inside of me. This was ridiculous, he didn't even give a shit about how I was feeling. He was obsessed with Hunter.

I climbed off. "By the way, I think you're the one who's in love with Hunter because you talk a lot more about him than I do." With that I slammed the car door shut and made my way to my house on foot. I didn't even turn to see where his car was headed. He could have gone to hell for all I cared.

My feet ached when I got home. Unlocking the front door, I walked inside. The smell of cinnamon apple pie filled the air. Mom was home and baking, I hadn't even noticed the car in the driveway. I had been so mad at Mackenzie that I failed to acknowledge anything around me.

Stepping into the kitchen, I saw mum wearing an apron with a dash on flour on her face. "Honey you're home!" She rushed towards me and gave me a hug. "I am baking apple pie, your favourite."

I felt happy. It was good to see that Mom still remembered that and cared for me. "Thanks mom!"

"Oh Patricia," she brushed my hair out of my face. "I am truly sorry for the way i treated for the past few years. I should have been there for you, being your mother."

"Its okay mom," I said wrapping my arms around her with tears in my house. Nothing like a mother's love.

She hugged me back. "Oh and you have a guest."

"Who?"

"Why don't you go upstairs and see?"

Oh no. No. No. No.

Letting go of her, I ran up the stairs and burst into my own room. And to my utter dismay, there he was.

Hunter sat on the floor of my room with pages scattered all around him. My writings, my work, he was reading them.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I trembled and yelled at him.

Without answering he picked up a page.

"Whenever I saw the look in his eyes, it seemed to good to be true. His voice, his words, his presence was enough to fill up the void inside of me. He was everything but he wasn't him," he read from the page with a smirk on his face.

My feet were glued to the floor as I watched him smirking at me. He flipped his hair out of his face. "Well, now everything fits Flabby Patty."

"Excuse me?" I cried.

"You're in love."