20.

"This was never about that," he smirked shaking his head. "Girls like you are always the easiest to target."

I felt like my ears were deceiving me, my eyes were deceiving me. All my senses were.

"I don't know what you're talking about," my body started to tremble and my mom let out a soft whimper. "Please let her go Mac."

"You really don't listen!" he yelled and shoved my mom across the floor. He literally flew towards me and grabbed me by my hair placing the gun to my temple.

I was sobbing like a baby now because I was so scared. "Mackenzie.."

"Where's your money old lady?" he ignored my cries and growled at my mom. She sniffled getting to her feet and opened the cupboard in her room.

"Why are you doing this?!" I cried again and he tugged on my hair hard making me shriek out in pain.

"It was so easy Patricia," Mac laughed menacingly. He shoved me, turning me around to face him still holding me by my arms.

"M-Mac.."

"I always target girls like you," he spoke so coldly with no feeling in his eyes. "You want to know the truth before I shoot your brains out?"

I heard my mom shuffling out all the valuable stuff to give him. The gun felt cold against my forehead and I wished I had listened to Hunter. I wish I hadn't pushed him away when he clearly knew something was wrong.

"The article that you read about me father," he scoffed twisting his face up in disgust. "He was my mom's boyfriend. You see we rob stupid people like you."

"But.."

"You really cannot keep your mouth shut," Mac pulled my hair angrily making me yell out in pain. Oh God, if only someone heard my screams and came to our help.

After mom had put all our stuff into a bag he had given her, Mac tied up both our hands & feet with a tape. I had never been so terrified in my life.

"Now my job here is done," he smirked with pride and leaned over me. "Too bad you were actually a really sweet girl."

My mum kept sobbing but I had stopped now. All I needed were some answers. "Why would you do this?"

He scoffed. "He really didn't tell you."

"Who?" My voice cracked and Mac grabbed my chin.

"Hunter. He always knew why I moved to this city. You see my mom's boyfriend was Hunter's uncle."

It felt like he had stabbed me right through my heart.

"And your mom.. cancer.."

"Figure it out Patricia. I lied." He shook his head. "I thought you were smarter."

Before I could speak another word, I heard my phone ringing in my pocket. A wave of relief swept over me but Mac reached into my pocket and grabbed it.

"Oh look its Hunter," he attended the call and put it on speaker mode.

"Patty hey," I heard Hunter's voice. I wanted to yell out to him to come and help me but by the look on Mac's face had me scared shitless.

"It's Mackenzie," he replied chuckling to himself.

"You son of a bitch! Where's Patty?!"

"Oh your girlfriend's right here boy," Mac put the gun against my temple. This was it. I was going to die. "If you call the police I swear I will shoot her brains out."

He shoved the phone against my mouth. "Tell him Patricia."

My mom yelled before I could speak. "HUNTERCALLTHEPOLICE."

"Shut up!" Mac growled and a gunshot echoed through the house. The ringing in my ears was getting louder until it was too late for me to realize what had happened. I felt mom's lifeless body against my back.

I was stunned. My body wouldn't even budge. He had shot her. He shot my mom!

"Coward," Mac laughed and threw my phone across the floor. "He hung up."

Throwing the bag over his back, Mac walked towards the front door. "Nice knowing you Patricia."

And then he was gone. Just like that, tearing my life apart Mackenzie was gone.