Chapter 1

"MOM!"

"Yes, Percy?" She answers as she walks out of the kitchen, smiling at me. She is holding a plate of blue waffles and sits it down in front of me. Blue food was sort of our thing, it has been since I was younger. It was moms way of saying anything can happen. This tradition started the first time I got expelled from a school, which was fifth grade. An 'incidint' came up with Gabe, where he lied and switched the story around, like always.

Gabe is my alchoholic, step-father. He always smells and never does anything besides drink and play poker with his "friends." My real father ditched us when I was baby and apparently Gabe swooped in and saved our lives when I was nine. I do not remember much of it, but I believe my mom.

"Are you going to drive me or...?" She shakes her head sadly at me. I am used to it, Mom normally has to leave earlier than this. I grab my bag and answer, a bit mad, a bit worried, I am not really sure. "Okay, then I'll see you tonight." She nods, trying to make me feel better, which does not work.

The school I am starting at is about a half-mile walk, so about fifteen minutes. It is early February so I am starting late and being assigned to someone to show me around for a week. I was at a school before Christmas, but there was an incident with me and another student. The consequences for my actions were expulsion. It does not bother me. I did not have much friends there, besides one boy named Josh. He was quiet and did not talk much, but at least I did not look so lonely at the lunch table. I know not to get too comfortable and this high school. We will move or something will go wrong. Like always. I never make too many friends anyways. I guess you can say I am shy or the others just think I am weird. I am sixteen years old and going into my junior year at Goode High School in Manhattan.

I walk up to the front of the school and hesitantly walk in. It is like every normal high school. Students running around, talking, lockers are on either side of the halls. I arrive about twenty minutes before the bell rings, to start first period. I have already gotten my schedule and books so I do not need to do anything. I start walking down the hall to the room number of my first period class. I seem to avoid all the other students and get to Chemistry. I am the first one and sat down. The room is small, and painted white. Inspiring posters cover the walls and there is a hamster cage in the corner, although I do not see a hamster in it. After about five minutes the teacher walks in.

She looks to me about fifty, has short gray hair and glasses. She walks over me, the corners of her eyes bunching up when she smiles. "Why, hello. You are the new student?"

I nod.  "Yes ma'am. My name is Percy Jackson."

She smiles warmly. "Nice to meet you. I'm Mrs. Mason. The other students should be in here soon. And I will assign you to one of my best students to show you around." I nod and get out my books.

That is when she walked in. She has curly blond hair that falls onto her shoulders giving off that princess look. Although, her eyes are what caught my attention. They are a stormy gray. She is tall, skinny (but not sick skinny) and beautiful. I know this seems to always happen. There is always a pretty, blond girl I begin to develop a crush on, and number one; she has a boyfriend, number two; she is a jerk, or number three; I end up moving again before I get the guts to talk to her.

She is walking next to a shorter girl, who has short choppy black hair giving off that punk rock look. Truthfully, she scares me. I have never been into that personality. I do not know why the two would be friends, they seem like polar opposites to me.

The girl and her friend come to sit right next to me, not paying any attention to me of course. I try not to look over, you know, then I would look like one of those creepy stalkers. I keep my attention forward, acting like I am reading the board. I hear the the bell ring, to signal the start of class. Ms. Mason welcomes the class then starts to introduce me.