Chapter 4

"Percy? Percy, honey, wake up." I pry my eyes open to see my mother over me, shaking me. "There you go, sweetheart. It's time for school." I lift myself up on my elbows and rub my eyes.

"Great." We sit in silence for a minute while I wake up fully. "Hey mom, where were you yesterday?"

"I'm sorry honey. I worked late yesterday and when I got home, you were already asleep. Hurry up now. You are gonna be late."

I nod and get up to get changed. "I forgot to ask, can I go to Thalia's on Saturday around twelve? Please."

My mother smiles at me, handing me my t-shirt. "Of course. Is Annabeth going to be there?"

I can feel my cheeks go red. "Mom! I don't have a crush on her. I can barely stand her."

My mom begins to walk out of my room, her back to me. "You just keep telling yourself that." I laugh and continue to get ready.

~

I am walking alone, on my way to school. Annabeth and I usually run into each other but I haven't seen her at all today. She might've gone early, or maybe she is just avoiding me from yesterday.

I continue onto school alone, arriving at 7:52. I find Thalia at my locker talking with Annabeth. Thalia smiles at me, Annabeth is just looking at me, with no emotion shown on her face. After our fight yesterday I expected her to say something or be glaring at me. Now she does not even look mad at all.

Thalia smiles at me, "Hey Perce."

I smile. "Hi. Thalia, I can come on Saturday."

Her smile grew. "Yay. Now everyone is coming." I smile back, and look over at Annabeth, who had he back to us as she is searching through her locker.

I nodd, looking around, " Where is everyone else?"

Thalia thinks for a minute. "Luke and Leo are in detention. I saw Jason and Frank studying for Chemistry in the library. And I think Piper and Hazel are in the courtyard. Why are we not good enough for you?" She is clearly joking, with her hands on her hips.

I say with a straight face, "Well.." Before I can continue, she slaps me across the arm. My hand shoots up, rubbing my arm. "Damn it girl." Thalia and even Annabeth chuckle at that. The warning bell rings, saying we only have five minutes to get to or first period. The three of us head to our first class together with Mrs. Mason.

~

The entire group isat lunch. We talk about the upcoming weekend. It is Thursday now and I cannot wait for Saturday. During our debate on if F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is better than How I Met Your Mother, a tall, scrawny, black-haired kid comes up to our table and walks over to Hazel and tells her something I cannot make it out. He walks away after giving our table a quick half-smile.

"Who was that, Hazel?" I ask. I am sure the rest of them know but since I just recently meet them, I do not.

She shakes her head, continuing to eat her lunch. "Just my brother, Nico."

I nod and go back to my lunch, after saying, "F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is better." That statement earns a few disagreements from around the table, getting us into a heated debate again.

Immediately after lunch I find Annabeth at her locker. I need to talk to her about yesterday. Today has been very awkward; being in classes together, and both of us in the group of friends. We cannot have group conversations when both of us are there. It gets awkward whenver one of us says something. This ends now.

I walk uo behind her, "Annabeth?" She turns around and leans against the lockers, gesturing me to talk. "Okay. So today has been really weird and awkward with the two of us. So, I am sorry about yesterday. I just got a bit pissed. I understand that we probably cannot be friends but for now, truce?" I hold out my hand for her to shake it, her arms stay by her side.