Chapter 5

I am awoken by my phone blasting 'I'm Sexy And I Know It', which is the ringtone for when Thalia is calling. (She set it, not me). I struggle to move to grab my phone, grumbling a "Hello?"

"Percy Jackson!"

She is screaming that so loudly it made me jump, and roll out of bed. "What!"

I can hear multiple people laughing over the other line. "Percy, do you know what time it is?" I pull my phone from my face to check the time.

"Twelve thirty"

"And do you know what day it is?"

"Saturday. So, wha-" then I realize. I'm supposed to be at Thalia's house. "Oh. I'll be right there sorry. See ya in thirty minutes."

They all laugh again, I suppose the phone was on speaker. "Bye Percy."

I quickly get up and change into a plain t-shirt and athletic shorts. I pack a bag of clothes with an extra change of clothes, a sleeping bag, and my toothbrush. Hurrying out the door, my mom stops me. "Where are you going, Percy?" Gabe is sitting at the bar, drinking beer and staring at me with an angry look (but when is he not angry).

I  look back at my mom, "Thalia's. I was supposed to be there thirty minutes ago. I over slept." My mom nods and smiles, not saying anything. With my hand against the door nob, I felt myself slam into the door, quickly being turned around to see Gabe's face a couple inches from mine.

"You aren't going anywhere, son."

I try to push him off of me, but with no luck. "Gabe, please, let him go." My mom whimpers in the background. Gabe looks over at her, making her step back and immediately silencing her.

He turns his head back to me, the anger builds up in him, as he lifts me off the door, then slams me again. My mom lets out a cry. He shouts at me, "I'm the man of this house and whatever I say, goes!" The strong scent of whiskey fills my face. I struggle to get him off. Within a second, my body flies to the ground, colliding with the wall next to the door. Before I can get up, I feel Gabe's foot slam into my gut, causing me to curl up in a ball. I can faintly hear my mom shout my name out in the background. The pain worsens as Gabe lifts me up and punche me in the face multiple times. He finally lets go, letting me fall to the ground. In an instant, I feel my mom lift me up onto her shoulder, rubbing my back. It feels like I just got caught in an elephant stampede (okay maybe not that bad).

"I have to go mom. They are going to suspect something." I say, getting up.

My mom helps me onto my feet, handing me my bag. "Your eye is getting swollen. Probably be a bruise by tomorrow. Here, take some Benadryl." I agree and drink the grape flavored syrup. I grab my bag and stop at my mom again before leaving. "Stay safe, Mom. Go to work or something. Please." She nods and promises she will, before giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you, Percy."

"Love you too."

~

I approach Thalia's apartment, knocking on the door, waiting for them to answer. I hear footsteps and laughter behind the door, opening to see Thalia smiling at me.

"You made it!" Her smile fades as she reaches up and touches my eye, making me cringe. I guess it is very noticeable. "What happened?"

"Oh. I hit it on my bedside table when I fell out of my bed this morning, when you called me!" I laugh, hoping she will buy it.

She shrugs, chuckling. "Sorry, Perce." Thalia opens the door fully, letting me into her apartment. I walk in, taking a seat next to Annabeth on the couch.