Chapter 9

After I check the time, four-thirty, I tighten my tie and stuff my phone into my pants pocket. I walk out of my bedroom, seeing my mom lounging on the couch, reading the newspaper. "Mom, I'm leaving."

She looks up at me, over her reading glasses. "Okay honey, have fun and stay safe!"

I smile and give her a kiss on the cheek before I leave. "Love you!" I shout as I slam the door. I know I hear a faint "Love you too." from behind the closed door.

I feel a rush of cold air when I step through the threshold. I tighten my coat around my body before heading down the busy streets of New York City.

Within twenty minutes I am at Annabeth's apartment building. I remember Apartment 3C to be hers. At exactly four-fifty eight, I knock on her door. Faint shuffling is heard behind the door, before Annabeth steps out looking stunning as ever.

She is in a sea blue dress that fell to her knees. The dress is strapless and tighter around her top, while bottom half of the dress 'poofs' out and is sparkly. Her hair is in tight curls with a small, blue, flower barrette that matches her dress. Seeing her so beautiful made me go weak in the knees. "Percy! You look great. Come on in." She smiled.

I smile back. "So do you."

She smiles and rolls her eyes. "I look like a Barbie doll. Didn't want to wear it, but step-mom forced me. At least she isn't making me wear makeup." I laugh, I would never see Annabeth wearing something like this on her own will.

I step into her apartment, looking around quickly. Her apartment is set up a lot like mine. But her furniture is modernized and there are many pictures on the walls of her family. Most had all five of them, but there was one to the right of the door that had only three people in it. Annabeth, her dad, and a women sat on a couch. The women had curly blond hair, a lot like Annabeth's, and Annabeth's grey eyes. She is beautiful. I look back at Annabeth, gesturing to the picture. Annabeth smiles at the picture, her eyes getting a far away look. "My mom."

I reveal a small smile, "She's beautiful." Annabeth gives me a look, saying 'Thank you.' The two of us stand in silence for what felt like hours, but most likely was a minute or two.

Annabeth snaps out of her daze, and pulls an escaped blond lock back behind her ear. Her feet shuffle backwards, "I have to grab my shoes. You can make yourself at home." I can hear her feet run down the hall towards what I suppose was her bedroom.

I sit down on a yellow couch with white and pale blue stripped throw pillows. I pull out my phone and continue to play Flappy Bird. My high score is fourteen. Annabeth makes fun of me for it. Hers is over two-hundred. I continue to play the game, losing before I reach ten.

The sound of heels clicking with the floor echo the apartment. Annabeth steps from around the corner in white heels. She looks up at me, "I am going to break my ankle." I laugh and give her my arm to walk with.

"I'll try to get it on camera." She laughs and smacks my head with her bag. Just as she is about to respond two short boys run past our legs, screaming about something I cannot understand.

Annabeth rolls her eyes. "Those are my step-brothers. Little brats." I chuckle and walk back to the kitchen where Mr. and Mrs. Chase was standing next to the two boys.

I walk up to Mr. Chase and hold out my hand. I hope he doesn't remember the other night. "Hello sir. I'm Percy Jackson."

He nods, giving me a small smile. He takes my hand and gave me a firm shake. "Yes. I believe we have met." Damn. "This is my wife." He says gesturing over to Mrs. Chase. I shake her hand as well, only giving her a smile.