Chapter 8

When I got home that night, I sat in bed thinking about what went on between Annabeth and I. Truthfully, I'm glad I didn't kiss her. It will ruin everything. If it did not go well, I couldn't hang out with that group anymore, and I would lose Annabeth as a friend. I did not want to kiss her, either. I can't see us like that, like Luke and Thalia. That is one thing that does not seem like it is going to happen. Hopefully tomorrow it will not be awkward between us.

~

I walk into Mrs. Mason's classroom that morning, afraid to face Annabeth. I see Annabeth and Thalia sitting in the corner of the room, leaning in together, talking about something. You know how girls always get really close when they are talking about something serious? That's what is happening now. I am unsure on if I should approach them or not. If I was right, Annabeth was telling Thalia of last night. They are best friends, and girls, they tell each other everything.

Okay, I am going to do it. I am going over there. They have not noticed me yet. I mean, I am stelth. About ten feet away from them, before I could hear what they are talking about, Thalia sees me over Annabeth's shoulder, her eyes widening, shouting, "Percy!" Annabeth immeditatly turns giving me a smile. "Hey Perc." I walk to them, and wave.

"What are you talking about?" Not like they would tell me.

Thalia and Annabeth share a look before Thalia shrugs her shoulders, "Girl stuff. You wouldn't want to know."

I nod and take a seat next to Annabeth, and give her a quick smile before taking my books out for class.

~

I catch up with Annabeth after class. After Thalia left, Annabeth and I are silent, the tension clear.

1. 2. 3. "Annabeth, can we talk?"

She turns to me, smiling, "Of course, Percy. We are friends." She clearly is emphasizing the 'friends.' Does that mean she wants to be more, or just friends? Maybe she is trying to tell me we are only friends and cannot be more. Or maybe I am going insane and imagining all of this.

"About last night-"

She holds her hand up, cutting me off. "If you want, last night never happened." Is that what I want? Do I want to put everything on the line for this or just forget about that feeling in the pit of my stomach everytime I see her? I should just let it go, shouldn't I? You know this would be a great time for a girlfriend talk. But usually those talks come from dads, and I don't have one (I am not talking to Gabe). We were just in the heat of the moment. I cannot see myself with Annabeth that way. No, I do not want to be a couple with Annabeth.

I look up at Annabeth, shaking my head. "I don't know. Yes. Can we forget about it? It is making my thoughts go crazy and it will be awkward between us, and you are like one of my best friends and I do not want to mess that up."

Annabeth laughs at me, "'One' of your best friends?"

"My best friend." I smile at her.

She gives me a pat on the back, "And don't forget that, Seaweed Brain."

I gave her a look, "Seaweed Brain?"

She smiles at me, "You are stupid and you seem to always smell like salt water."

"Hey!" I think for a minute of a name for her. "I will call you...Wise Girl." That is not very offensive. More of a compliment.

She smiles, clearly happy with it. "Come on, we are going to be late to class."

~

"Percy, how did your day go?"

I nod and grab a soda from the fridge, "Normal."