Chapter 3

"I knew there was more to you than money!" - Leia Organa, Episode IV: A New Hope

It was amazing what being on firm solid ground could do for one's state of mind. After having landed on Yavin, Leia had been warmly greeted with much relief by the General, and from quickly explaining the events that had ensued since she had been kidnapped by Vader and retrieving the information from the R2-unit, had been whisked away from the incoming crowd of rebels, eager to see the princess who had survived the infamous Sith Lord. She had made sure Luke, Han and Chewbacca were taken well care of too. Being almost jammed in a trash compactor did things to one's self-assurance and Leia needed all the confidence she could get in order to speak to the rebels.

It wasn't that they didn't respect her, they did. But, she found so much importance in ascertaining that they did not follow her just because she was a princess, because she was royalty. She wanted respect for her intelligence and astuteness, her sheer willpower.

Now as they discussed how they could possibly destroy the Death Star with the technical readouts she'd collected in R2D2, as well as Leia's own memory of the battle station, they had found a weakness at last. She could feel a familiar excitement tingling in her veins, the thrill of hope. Glancing at Han, who looked bored by the surroundings, she couldn't help but feel a spark of irritation as well. Had he no compassion or care for anyone besides himself? And yet, she knew that wasn't a completely accurate observation. He definitely cared for his Wookie companion and Luke as well. There was a brotherly air in the way he spoke to the younger man that shook any conviction that he was nothing more than a heartless, money-grabbing bastard.

She was thinking upon this too much, she shook herself lightly and returned her attention to the speaker who had ended his explanation of the strategy with, "May the Force be with you."

Judging by the odds against them, they'd need all the Force they could get.

Han had been coldly ignored by the Princess as soon as they'd reached her base. Normally he wouldn't let anything like that bother him, particularly not when he was receiving his reward and would be off to repay his debt and live a free man again. However, some soft little part of him was perturbed by the cool indifference of Leia and the disappointed glances Luke sent his way. Not to mention Chewie's suggestions that they could be of help.

"What're you lookin' at?" he told his furry friend gruffly, "I know what I'm doing."

But, he couldn't stop the feeling that told him perhaps he didn't.

They took off as soon as possible, despite Chewbacca's clear reluctance. Han, however, was making sure to appear as cocky and self-satisfied as possible. He didn't want a suicide mission, he told himself. He needed the money and he needed to be around to use it.

"We're gonna be free again," he announced cheerfully, "No death-reward on our heads any longer, Chewie."

His friend grunted in reply.

"Come on, you know what a crazy plan that would be, helping her Highness and her little rebel gang up against that giant ball of death," Han retorted.

"It could work," Chewbacca told him seriously, "And we could help. You know we could. Most of those rebels are too young and inexperienced for something like this. Look at Luke, he's never even been in a real fight on his own."

"He's mature enough to make decisions for himself," Han shrugged, although he felt a pang of worry for his friend.

"And you're mature enough to choose the right thing to do," the Wookie stated wisely.

Han bit back a clever quip on making "right" choices and instead fell silent. Despite his show of false confidence and cheer, there was a low sinking feeling in his chest. He knew if they continued forth and Luke and the Princess were killed, as likely, he would never be able to swallow back the guilt. He may have marauded as a loner, a fellow who cared only for himself and his own well-being, but the truth of the matter was...he did care. Not only for those he'd left behind. Something in the speeches made back at Yavin had made some sort of influence on him. He'd never cared for the Empire, but had remained content to sit back and do nothing. He'd never had any inclination to fight for a noble cause until now. Being on the Death Star, seeing the effects of the torture wreaked on Leia, the brutal death of an old man...they had all made him want to fight back. He was still afraid for his own life, but it was different now. Because there were some things worth fighting for. And if he could fight for his life, he could fight for this too.