Chapter 20

"Well, I guess you don't know everything about women yet." - Princess Leia Organa, Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Leia watched Han stride into the quarters. She shouldn't be so distracted while she was helping the recruit navigate the snowy land from the new system, but Han had always been that. A distraction, she thought to herself bitterly. Why did she allow herself to feel, when it would only hold her back? Everyone she'd ever loved was gone from her life - what was the point in allowing anyone else into her heart when they'd simply abscond at a moment's notice?

A small part of her knew that Han didn't have much of a choice in the matter; his life, after all, was on the scales and he'd already escaped Jabba's clutches far too many times. But they could protect him here, couldn't they? He hadn't even given it time to consider; after Ord Mantell, he and Chewie had already begun on the Falcon's repairs to get them out of the base. Out for good. She harboured no illusions of him ever coming back. She wasn't a fool, no matter how foolishly she may have behaved when it came to him.

He had just returned from scouring the base after that meteorite had hit; he was telling the General about his findings - there were no lifeforms - but she couldn't bring herself to feel relief. She caught the hesitation in his face; he was going to tell the General he was leaving. And as soon as he voiced those words, she turned away. There was only so much emotion she could hold back.

As soon as she managed to school her features into cold nonchalance, she looked back to find him already looking at her. She couldn't read his expression now, but as he walked towards her, a small part of her hoped that he'd change his mind.

"Well, Your Highness, guess this is it," he spoke with casual indifference; as though nothing had changed from the time they'd met. But if he was hoping for her a tearful goodbye from her side, he wasn't going to get it.

"That's right," she nodded coolly and she caught a glimpse of hurt beneath the insouciant façade, as his gaze dropped and he nodded, before his arrogance returned and he retorted, "Well, don't get all mushy on me, so long, Princess," and strode out the door.

She didn't care that the General and the soldiers had overheard; she didn't care that they were probably watching her now. She followed him out into the passage, even if it was a fool's errand, even if she did the one thing she had promised herself she wouldn't.

"Han!" she called and he stopped.

"Yes, Your Highnessness?" he turned, almost lazily. She would miss that; she'd miss the name-calling, even if he did it to provoke her.

"I thought you had decided to stay," she stopped in front of him with all the dignity her five-foot stature could muster.

"Well, the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell changed my mind," he reminded her.

"Han, we need you," she blurted out before she could think better of it. Something flashed across his face.

"We need?"

"Yes."

"Well, what about you need?"

She pretended confusion; she'd already said enough. "I need?" He nodded and she knew he was waiting for something more, but she wouldn't give it to him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He clicked his tongue with a sardonic half-smile, "You probably don't," and walked away.

But, she kept following, against all her better instincts, ignoring the curious glances of the soldiers passing them, "And what precisely am I supposed to know?" If they were going to get this...thing...they had between them out, she wasn't going to be the one to voice it first.