Chapter 13

"You sure you're up for this?" - Han Solo, Star Wars Episode VII : The Force Awakens

Why him? Leia wondered irritably.

Of all the no-good, insufferable scumbags, she had to go and get rescued by this one. And now he just couldn't seem to leave her alone.

"No!" she barked at him for what had to be the fifth time that morning.

"There's no need to be rude," he replied mildly, "But, even the General agreed it's a good idea, especially if you want to accompany us on the raids. Even if you get kidnapped like last time, at least you'll have a better advantage."

"I know how to use a blaster and that's good enough for me," she huffed, increasing her pace.

"Fine," he said suddenly, although his tone certainly did not broker defeat. "I get it, it must be tough in your position..."

"In my position...?" she chanced a sideways glance at him.

"Yeah, I mean, as a woman, it'll be pretty difficult for you to keep my hands off of me, since we'll be getting up close and personal," he grinned, "I understand, Your Worship."

"Believe me, Captain, keeping my hands off of you is hardly a struggle," she responded with a roll of her eyes, not realizing she'd walked straight into a trap.

"Well, if that's the case, you should have no problem with me teachin' ya how to fight dirty," he replied triumphantly.

It wasn't really that she was worried about how close she'd be getting to Han...and of course, how much he'd take advantage of their potential proximity. No, it was more that...well, she was tiny. She didn't have much confidence in her strength if it came to tackling a clone that stood double her height. She was used to a blaster, she knew how to shoot and she could shoot well. She was used to it. She liked it.

Trying something this new and unpredictable was certain to be problematic. It would probably result in nothing more than her own humiliation.

After their haphazard rescue of General Liawkman, Rieekan had been quite displeased. While Liawkman had vital information to provide, Rieekan could hardly ignore the danger Leia had been in and had soundly reprimanded she and Han both. He had pointed out that, even with a blaster, Leia was more at risk than anyone else. She didn't know much hand-to-hand combat. And so, Han, annoyingly obliging fellow that he was at the moment, had offered to teach her.

And Rieekan had seemed to think it was a good idea! She would have been more comfortable with anyone else...Luke, even...anyone who wouldn't laugh in her face or chortle behind her back to his comrades when she indubitably slipped up or tripped over her own feet. But Han? This was doomed to be a recipe for disaster.

"I don't think this is a good idea," she sighed, unzipping her jacket as she walked into the storage compartment of the ship – not the hidden one, but the one he used as a guise for carrying the "legal" goods. Han had shoved some crates and equipment to the sides, leaving a good-sized clean area in the centre. The man himself looked around at her entry, his usual jacket put aside, clad in trousers and a homespun shirt that looked as though it might have once been white, had it not borne witness to too many machine repairs and oil spills. He raked a single assessing glance down her figure and seemed to approve. She'd worn thick leggings and her usual camisole under her snow-gear which she was in the process of removing, attempting to appear nonchalant under his gaze. It wasn't as though she was actually undressing for him, she told herself sternly, but it certainly felt like it, even if he wasn't leering at her.