Chapter 17

"You're trembling." – Han Solo, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Han lounged back on the bench beside Luke and Chewie as General Rieekan barked out instructions and orders for the fleets he'd be sending out for a rescue mission on Dantooine. Leia stood at his side, scanning the groups of rebels with a critical eye.

"Probably be us four again," Luke murmured, nudging Han. They usually accompanied Leia as a team when she was allowed to take lead in missions.

"Unless Rieekan's got other plans for you," Han nodded; occasionally, Luke took one of the starfighters instead because of his remarkable piloting.

"I doubt it. He doesn't trust putting the Princess solely in your hands," Luke teased lightly.

Han pretended to look wounded, "Out of the two of us, it's clear I'm the responsible one."

His friend snorted, "I'm sure the General will agree after you showed up to the last awards ceremony, drunk."

"I didn't mean to!" Han protested feebly, "I was just...ah...having an early celebration of my own..."

Luke shook his head, grinning, "The only reason he hasn't kicked you out yet is because of how useful you are. I suppose he'll just have to count his blessings that you haven't seduced half the female population on Hoth, yet."

Han chuckled, saying nothing. It amused him how his reputation had built as a careless womanizer – which he was...but hadn't been for a long time. Sure, he flirted left, right and centre with all the women, that was just his nature. But he hadn't exactly had the time, nor the right sort of motivation for a sexual encounter in a long time. Chewie joked around about it giving him an aura of mystery – something women loved. Or, all women excepting one, at least.

Leia came forward, as Rieekan stepped back, addressing the remaining troops with further instructions and details on the layout of the rescue, then assigning them their positions. Han watched her, leaning back as he waited for his name to be called out along with Luke's... "Ryles, Skywalker, Jordan – you'll be accompanying me," she stated briskly and he froze, frowning.

Luke glanced at him, a little apologetically, "I guess you're the one needed elsewhere."

"Guess so," Han muttered, staring at Leia, though her gaze passed over him neutrally, as she assigned him and Chewie other positions.

The groups departed into their formations and Luke sauntered over to join Leia, who greeted him with a warm smile, laughing at something he said. Han turned away, swallowing down something bitter that tasted suspiciously like jealousy...Luke was his friend, there was no reason for him to hold any ill-feelings against him, especially not over a woman. Let the Princess choose whomever she wanted...there was no reason for him to care. Except he did. He cared a great deal.

He had supposed after that unexpected encounter in his ship that she'd be warmer towards him, but she wasn't. If anything, she'd only become more distant, as though he'd done something wrong. He couldn't figure out for the life of him what he'd done wrong, however. It couldn't have to do with him giving her that crystal...she'd practically tackled him in her gratitude...but, things had only changed between them since then. He hadn't tried to figure out what was wrong, though, only had engrossed himself more fully in his assignments. He hadn't decided whether or not he'd stay, so maybe it was best that Leia kept her distance for the time being; it was becoming increasingly difficult, controlling some of his baser instincts when he was around her. But, still, part of him wished she wouldn't.

And now as he grit his teeth, making his way towards the Falcon, Chewie following silently behind him, he wondered...even if he did leave...would it really matter that much to her?