Chapter 18

A/N: I am so, so sorry. I know it's been a really long time since I've written anything, I've just been really busy and down with a bad bout of writer's block as well. Finally got around to writing this. Thank you so much for all your reviews and constantly asking me to update and reminding me that this story isn't over yet.

Special shout-out goes to @eleanor_annie for suggesting shirtless Han in this chapter ;)

I also want to take a moment to say how utterly devastasted I was to find out about Carrie Fisher's passing. She was so iconic for me, growning up with Star Wars, I've loved the badass Princess since I was a child, and the films won't ever be the same without her. RIP, Carrie.

"We need? Well, what about what you need?" – Han Solo, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Leia paced her office, opening and clenching her still-bruised hand between intervals. She'd just had an interview with Rieekan. As much as she respected the man and had even grown to like him, she often wished he wouldn't be so damningly perceptive.

"We need him here, Leia," the General had stated in a matter-of-fact tone, "You'd best tell him that because if he gets any notion of leaving, he needs to know what he is worth here. The men respect him, they like him and he knows how to get them to work as a team. You know that."

"With all due respect, General, why don't you tell him yourself?" she had blurted. She hardly wanted to be the one to tell Han they needed him. She only had so much dignity to uphold. Not to mention, she had been avoiding him quite actively of late. Perhaps it was because part of her knew that admitting to him that they needed him was far to close to a more intimate truth...

Rieekan had raised a grey eyebrow at her, letting an uncomfortable pause settle and she had immediately regretted her choice of words. She had sounded like a petty brat...or worse, like a woman having marital issues with a wild husband. She winced at the thought. May the gods bless the poor unfortunate that took him in.

"I believe I have made it clear on a number of times," Rieekan drew her out of her muddled thoughts. "But, I don't believe the weight of the matter has settled upon him quite seriously."

"The Captain has hardly been known to take matters seriously, General," she pointed out dryly.

"And yet, I believe you have more influence over him, than I."

Leia wasn't entirely sure what to say to that. "I think," she chose her words carefully, "the Captain follows his own schedule. If he wants to leave, he will. And there is nothing anyone can say that could possibly change that."

The General had nodded with a sigh, staring pensively into the distance. More lines had gathered around his eyes and forehead than there had been before he had become General. War aged them all; they had all made more sacrifices and lost more than they could count.

She took a deep breath and said, "I'll tell him...but I can't promise anything."

The General looked at her, "Just try. That's enough for me."

Han was in the refresher, using the sonic shower. He definitely missed the real thing – there was nothing like hot water running down your back after a hard, long day – but he had learned to make do with the device. It was better than nothing after all.