Chapter 14

"Still, she's got a lot of spirit..." – Han Solo, Episode IV: A New Hope

Han watched Leia direct a squadron from where he stood at the back, half-hidden in the shadows. It was attractive, watching her take charge like this. She exuded confidence, with that gleam of passion in her eyes for what she believed in. No wonder all the men were willing to go out and risk their lives for their cause – Leia was a born leader. She knew what she was doing and she was good at it too. He'd only ever seen that self-assurance falter a few rare times. When she was under extreme emotional duress and when...well, when she was doing something she was new to. She wasn't fond of taking big risks, she liked being in charge and she certainly didn't enjoy relying on others.

Under his guidance in the past weeks, she'd managed to impress him. Even if she had lacked a bit of perseverance in the beginning, she sure as hell was making up for it now. She refused to back down from any challenge he threw at her and was steadily becoming quite the fighter. He liked that about her. He liked her spirit.

And Luke had noticed.

"You've been spending a lot of time with Leia lately," the boy had muttered shiftily.

"It ain't my fault Rieekan's made me take the Princess up to task," Han had retorted offhandedly, "I'm just as happy about the whole situation as she is."

"You can't hide from me, Han," Luke told him seriously, "You like her."

"Kid, if there's one thing I've learned and held to heart from my smuggling days, it's never to mix business with pleasure. Remember that. It might do you some good, as well. Sure, I flirt with Her Worship, I flirt with all the ladies."

"Yeah, but-"

"Don't worry yourself. I don't plan on breaking any hearts – in fact, I rather doubt she has one," he joked, ruffling Luke's hair, "Might just be a little heart-shaped ice cube in there."

Luke had eased up then, with a little chuckle, "She's not that cold, Han, she's just nice to everyone else but you. And she's got more sense than to allow her heart to get broken by you."

Han had realized then, that perhaps Luke had not been as jealous, as much as feeling protective about Her Highness. The kid had a good heart and Leia was his friend – he was attracted to her, yes, but beyond that, he cared about her own feelings more than anything else. Which was good, in a way, because it meant Han didn't have to feel so guilty over his own attraction towards her.

Now, as he realized he was staring at her, he swiftly turned around and walked in the opposite direction. If he wasn't careful, he'd be turning into some moonstruck oaf. It was one thing to admire her for her leadership – quite another to make sheep's eyes at her while she was at it. Han Solo wasn't known for making sheep's eyes at anyone. Women came to him, not the other way around.

Leia sighed in resignation at the sound of the familiar voice trailing behind her, "I hope you know what you're doing. We wouldn't wanna be surprised by a wampa."

They were out on a round with their tauntauns in the morning. She appreciated the crisp bracing air outside, even if the brightness of the sunlight and the snow could be a little jarring. Something had been jamming their communicators and signal, so she and a few of the men had decided to go out and search for the cause. There were a number of possible stations, so they'd split up and Han had evidently decided he was her "partner" for the day.

"I know what I'm doing, Captain, not to worry," she replied dryly as a sudden sharp gust of wind hit her, "And if a wampa attacks, maybe I'll get to practice what you've taught me."