Chapter 16

"You think a princess and a guy like me...?" – Han Solo, Episode IV: A New Hope

"I told you," Chewie said smugly, folding his furry arms behind his head.

"No need to be so satisfied about it," Han muttered with a glare, "It's not as though I wanted this...whatever this is..."

"Feelings," Chewie supplied helpfully.

Han winced at the word, "I wouldn't say –" Chewie cut him off with an incredulous snort and he sighed, "Alright. Feelings. I have feelings for the Princess and I don't know what the hell to do with them."

"You can't exactly store them away like illegal goods," his friend reasoned.

"No, no I can't...but there's no way on this icy hell I'm gonna be telling her about them. She doesn't even like me."

"I'd say she's gotten used to you."

"That's not the same thing, she can't stand being in the same room as me."

"That's not true. She fights with you, but that's understandable, you're an ass."

"Thanks, thanks."

"Anytime."

Han sighed, leaning back in his chair, running a hand through his hair. Well, this was a fine mess he'd gotten himself into. It was all fine and dandy when you were a carefree smuggler who cared about nothing and no one. But somehow in the past two years, he'd managed to not only get involved in a dangerous crusade against the Empire, he'd managed to fall for an uptight Princess as well. Politics and women. Never a good combination.

Chewie uncorked a bottle of ale, handing it to him sympathetically, "It was the same for me when I realized I was in love with Malla..."

"I'm not in love," Han rolled his eyes with an exaggerated shudder.

"No, I s'pose that'd be taking it a little far," Chewie agreed, "But you do have a...ah...soft spot for the Princess..."

"Or hard, depending on perspective."

"But, it's not just lust, is it? That's the thing."

"I can deal with sexual frustration, so no, unfortunately, it's not just that."

"You haven't been with any other women either since we got here, too."

"There'd be no point in it."

"Hmm." The two friends fell into silence, sipping their ale pensively.

Leia inwardly congratulated herself. She wasn't sure what she'd done exactly, but it seemed as though she'd finally gotten rid of Han Solo.

Oh, he was still around. But he didn't constantly pester her or bring up foul innuendo at every chance he got. In fact, he seemed rather subdued all around.

Part of her though...a very small part of her...missed him. Initially, in the first few days, she'd rejoiced...but now, well, it seemed a little quiet without his constant presence. Was he avoiding her? Curiosity warred with pride. If he was, she certainly wasn't about to seek him out herself. But then she began to wonder if it was because he was considering leaving. And that didn't sit too well with her. Not one bit.

She didn't want to ask Rieekan if he knew...she rather suspected the man believed there was more to her and Han's relationship than friendship...and if she asked Luke or Chewbacca, they would probably wonder as well. So she found herself determinedly striding towards the Falcon one afternoon, up the already outstretched ramp, pulling off her jacket as she searched for the Captain.