Chapter 19

"Well, the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell changed my mind." - Han Solo, Episode V

"Ord Mantell?" Leia frowned, "What's there for us?"

Rieekan swept a gnarled hand over the green hologram between them, revealing a database.

"The Black Sun syndicate?" Leia murmured, scrolling through the logs, "But they haven't been operating in years."

"Not openly, not anymore," Rieekan steepled his fingers together, "But our sources tell us their base is still in full effect. They're working with the Empire."

"You want us to destroy it?"

"No, no. You wouldn't be able to," he shook his head, "It's a complex system, one we don't have time to fully untangle. Too many people involved. But there's someone there who might be able to help us."

"And is this person trustworthy?" Leia inquired skeptically.

"She's desperate and she's willing to work for whoever will help her in return. She's suffered greatly from the rise of the Empire. It's not ideal, I know. But we're running out of time."

Leia paused in consideration, then resigned herself to the situation. The General was right; they had no other way of seeing into the enemy's plans and, of late, the opposition had been a step ahead of them. It was a risk they were going to have to take.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Find Cora Reaves." Rieekan swiped his finger to the left and a slide of the woman's face appeared on the screen, details on her occupation and history displayed on the side.

Leia took quick inventory of the thick twin tentacles protruding out of the female's gaunt green skin, along with the information. "She's a bounty hunter?"

"Retired. But still involved in the syndicate and she wants out."

"That's all she's seeking? A safe haven?" Leia narrowed her eyes at him.

"And a monetary reward," Rieekan admitted, "But she'll tell us all she knows about the syndicate's involvement in the Empire's plans."

Leia nodded, "Alright."

"And I want you to take Solo with you. The area's more his expertise."

Part of her wanted to protest, but she knew he was right. It wasn't as though she could hide from the man forever. It had become almost a ritual of theirs. One step closer, two steps back, and around they danced from the truth.

"Ord Mantell, huh?" Han slid into his seat on the Falcon, gearing the ship for take-off.

"I take it you've been there before?" Leia inquired absently.

"Sure, I've been there. Not the prettiest of places, I'll tell ya that. It's almost as bad as Tatooine with the amount of corruption and trafficking that goes on there," he pulled a lever forward and the ship took off from the base.

"Slave trafficking?"

"Mhmm. Illegal drug smuggling too."

Something had triggered Leia's memory, however, with his previous words. "Reaves has a child," she said slowly, "She's probably trying to save him from slavery."

"Makes sense," Han nodded, "And I'm thinkin' the Empire's probably makin' use of the slaves as well."

They fell into silence as they flew out of the mesosphere and the world around them turned to white-speckled black. Han broke it after a while, clearing his throat, "So, the General wanted this to be a two-man mission, then?"