Chapter 42. Retrieval

AHH, 70k reads! IM SO HAPPY, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT! Also, excuse any typos, if you find any just comment and I'll fix it.

Only seven chapters left!

And with the chapter name, you all know what's coming. I cry.

Chapter 42. Retrieval

The girl watched as the leaves fell through the glass of her window. The skies were cloudy and she sighed, looking down at her lap. It had been a few days since they had come back from that mission that had injured Sasuke. When she went to visit him, he seemed darker than usual, his eyes were dark, but they had never been the dark voids she saw in them. It was as if he was holding in his rage, and he seemed defeated--in a sense. Yuzuki sighed, watching as drops of water splashed onto the window of her bedroom. She was being kept under lock and key for a few days. There was an ANBU Black Op stationed outside her window at all times.

Her golden eyes scanned the outside area, watching as people ran for cover outside as the skies began to pour rain. Water pounded at the glass, distorting her view of the outside world. She glanced over at her bookshelf, seeing the books she had read since she moved to the Village. Three shelves were lined with books that told stories of dragons, and warriors who would fight them, or conquer them. Stories of heroes.

She wanted to he the hero of her story. If not a hero, then someone who could make a difference. And help. The girl shook her head, laying back on the bed and staring at the ceiling. Yuzuki listened intently on the movements inside the compound, her father was home, so he was probably reading his Icha Icha Paradise.

It was a free day for him, but early the next morning he would be leaving for a mission. She would remain at the compound. Boredom was her greatest enemy, it seemed. There was nothing to do, and nothing to do anything with. So she stood up, and walked out of her room. She was going to make lunch before she went out to visit Sasuke, and stop at Sakura's along the way and go with her-- she was probably already at the hospital.

After eating, she told Kakashi she was going to visit Sasuke, and he told her to be watchful even though there was going to be an ANBU Black Op following her. Venturing down the street, she eyed the people around her. They were all civilians, but any one of them could be Shinobi. An ANBU Root Operative could have been disguised as one of the many villagers surrounding her. ANBU Root members could have been hiding in the shadows. I need to move passed this. Yuzuki had not yet recovered mentally-- physically, she was fine, except for the scars.

Subconsciously, her fingers grazed the raised skin on her neck, the roughness of it reminding her of the stinging pain she felt, and how helpless she was. Shaking her head, she let her hand drop to her side and looked at her surroundings. It was the shopping district, vendors greeted people happily and took part in conversations. Others were trying to convince people to buy their products. She weaved through the crowd of people surrounding her until she made it to the end, finding an alley and slipping into it.

Her heart raced, but she clenched her fist and turned towards the main street. People bustled passed, paying no mind to the girl lingering in the shadows. Blissful, ignorant to the cruelty of the world. The girl braved a step forward, then another, then another. Eyes darting around, she walked quickly. It felt like she had just walked into a wall, then found herself sprawled on the ground. That wall turned out to he a person, and that person turned out to be Neji Hyūga.

"Watch where you're going," he said dryly, staring down at her. The pale eyed boy sighed as she hissed at him, certain words--that should remain unsaid--flying passed her lips.