Chapter 1: Changes

5 years have passed since Leslie died, and Jess was now in High School.

17 year old Jesse Aarons sat still on his seat, resting his chin on the palm of his hand as he doodled on his notebook and drew her wearing a dress.

"I've got dresses Jess." She smiled at him before parting ways with one another.

Jess bit his lip as her face appeared in his mind, her voice echoing in his head. He then continued drawing doodles of those imaginary things he imagined when he was younger. Terabithia.
"Jesse Aarons. Jesse Aarons,"
No reaction.

"JESSE AARONS!"

Jess raised his head up and faced the teacher who was currently standing in front of his desk, sternly looking at him, his arms crossed.

"... Yes?" Jess mumbled bluntly. Clearly the teacher was getting impatient with his attitude towards his  class...

"What was the last sentence I just said?" The teacher repeated, tapping his foot impatiently. Jess looked around the class noticing that everyone was looking at him, but she wasn't there...

He looked at the front, looking at the black board to see what the teacher was talking about. They were talking about snow and salt. Jess then let out a sigh.

"You said that adding salt to the snow increases the molecules on the surface so it makes it harder for the water to freeze..." Jess answered blandly. He looked at him with a blank expression, waiting for his response. "That's correct..." He said under his breath, not actually thinking he'd be listening.

"Turn to page 151..."

Meanwhile, Jess continued to draw on his notebook, not bothering to listen in class.
This action of his continued until the end of school...

Jess stepped out from his friend's car, bidding goodbyes to each other.
"See ya tomorrow dumbasses!" He chuckled, before looking at his girlfriend.
"Later babe," Jess crashed his lips onto her's, enjoying the moment before slamming the car's door.

In these 5 years, Jess has drastically changed. He had gained more 'popularity' in school, flirted with girls. He was not that innocent Jess Aarons anymore.

As Jess walked back home, he looked over to the Burke's old house that looked abandoned now. Jess couldn't help but remember those times when he used to always come over and hang out there...

"Hey Jess!"

Jess turned around, only to be greeted by a brown haired girl hugging him.
A small smile crept to his lips as he hugged her back before she let go of him. He looked down at her and stared in her big brown eyes.
In those years, she had changed. A lot. Well just physically. She was now 12, she had grown SO much taller, her baby fat was now gone and she was quite slender for her age!

"Missed me?" Jess smirked. He patted her head before walking ahead of her. "You don't come here that much anymore..." May Belle sighed and then caught up with him. The 2 siblings had their little chat, catching up with one another until they reached their house.

The lights were on, the tv being heard from outside. The girls were probably watching something.
Jess stood still at the front of their porch, not knowing what to say once he enters the house and sees his mother. He glanced at the truck near the green house. His father was probably home.