Chapter 9: Plans for Mandy Jenkins

Their school on Monday ended quite surprisingly okay, at best. They both returned back safely after Bill brought them back home.

     While they were in the car, Jess noticed that Leslie was oddly quiet.

     "So how was school Leslie?" Bill asked as he maneuvered the wheels.

     Jess turned to Leslie and then to Bill. "Hey Leslie..."

Leslie didn't even look at him or say anything until he nudged her.

      "Huh what?" Leslie said. She looked at Jess and Bill with a puzzled expression. Jess repeated Bill's question to her.

"Oh! Yeah yeah, it was good."

     Jess looked at her for a moment and then returned back to seeing the scenery outside again. He knew that there was something going on in Leslie's mind for her to be not listening but he didn't try to ask her what the problem was until they got out of the car.

"You coming?" Bill called over his shoulder as he walked back to their house. Leslie stepped out of the car and then looked at Jess before closing the door. "I'm just gonna hang with Jess for a bit, is that okay?" She asked.

"Yeah sure, be back before evening."

That afternoon, crouched in the stronghold of Terabithia, otherwise also known as their tree house, Jess told Leslie about the teachers in school so that at least she'll know what she'll be expecting. As he did so, Leslie was drinking the carton of milk that Judy gave them before going off.

"So first thing you have to know about Mr Hart is that he always makes this face when he's bored." Jess puckered his lips and did a duck face, crossing his eyes.

     She started laughing at him.

"Here," he said. "Now close your eyes."

     "Why?"

     "Just close them."

     She did as she was asked to and closed her eyes. She then felt Jess taking her milk.

     "Now open your mouth." He says.

"Hm?"

"Open it." She obeyed. He sent a stream of cold fresh milk into it.

     "Jess!" His name was garbled and the milk trickled down her chin as she spoke.

     "Now don't talk too much. You're making a mess on yourself."

     Leslie started to giggle, choke and cough.

     Jess grinned at her. "Now if only you can see yourself. Lemme try again."

     Leslie controlled her giggle, closed her eyes and opened her mouth again.

     But now Jess was giggling himself, so much that he couldn't steady his hand.

     "You goon! You spilled it all over my shirt!" She looked down on her shirt and started tugging it. She went into giggles again.

     "Sorry about that," Jess chuckled. "It's nice to see you smiling now though."

     "Yeah?"