Chapter 18: Dylan Hils

Jess and Leslie walked briskly to the school cafeteria.

They were fully aware of the stares they were receiving from the people they passed by and the mumbles they could hear that were likely about them.

"Why do the girls in school fall for you?" Leslie sighed as she rolled her eyes.

     "I'm a total package that's why," Jess grinned. "Artistic, fast, good-looking, smart-"

    "You got a C in Math and only C+ in English. You haven't even got an A for any subject except in gym class." She snorted, shaking her head.

    "Why, are the stares bothering you?"

    "Well for one thing, if being smart and fast is a trait that people like then I should have some admirers like you do." She said confidently.

    Leslie probably had admirers alright. For a smart girl she was pretty dense at romance and stuff.

    They got their food and headed to the hill where the popular people were. Others were either too caught up with talking about rubbish or were just shy to sit with Jess and Leslie. They seemed like they were in their own world that no one could enter and join in. The only person who dared to go in was Caitlyn Freece and she fitted in quite nicely. Not to mention she still called Leslie- 'Lassie'.

    "So me and my sister was like weetooo weetoo wetoo," they couldn't help but cringe at Caitlyn's story telling of how she and her sister once jumped out of their window and jumped to the swimming pool. Really a bold and dumb idea.

     "How old is your sister?" Leslie asked, drinking her juice.

    "I don't know- 11?12?"

    Jess kicked Leslie, making her cough at the juice. They continued secretly kicking each other playfully as Caitlyn carried on, though they still listened.

    Leslie considered Caitlyn to be her friend. Why, because she was different from the other girls. She didn't judge her. She was actually entertained by her for some reason. Leslie could understand why he befriended Caitlyn.

     "Hello, skunks."

     They all looked up at the voice and saw Mandy Jenkins approaching. She glared directly at Leslie, as if saying that the 'skunk' was purely for her.

    "Afternoon Mandy," Leslie cracked a smile.

     Even Caitlyn could feel the animosity around the table. Particularly between Mandy Jenkins and Leslie. "Are you guys coming to the pep rally later?" Caitlyn suddenly blurted.

     Jess raised his eye brow at Caitlyn. "Are you going?"

    She nodded vigorously like a child.

     "Oh yeah, there'll be a surprise at the pep rally so you better come." Caitlyn said, giving Leslie a smirk.

     "Sure," Leslie answered. "We'll come." She said proudly, folding her arms to her chest.

    "Good..." Mandy mumbled but Jess and Leslie managed to hear it.

     Mandy Jenkins scoffed as she walked away from their table and headed back to her clique. Jess really didn't want to go to the pep rally. The last time he went, all the guys were just checking the cheerleaders out. But he might as well just go with Leslie since she was going with Caitlyn.