Chapter 17: Night messages

During the 2nd week of February, Jess broke up with Sonia Tylers by simply telling her that he lost interest in her. She got so upset over the break up that she threw the water she was drinking in the cafeteria in his face.

     Now with Jess single, the spot for being his girlfriend was open and anyone could grab it. Another rumor started that Leslie was his new girlfriend which they both denied. They were only best friends. Pure best friend relationship, and nothing more. But because of the recent break up, Sonia Tylers' dislike for Leslie grew into hatred because she thought that Jess broke up with her because of Leslie. Every single day Leslie would get tripped by either Mandy Jenkins or Sonia Tylers, or sometimes put notes behind her back.

     A few days after the break up, Jess came out during lunch break to Leslie with a familiar person with him. "Look who's here," he grinned. "Our very own elementary ex-bully."

     "Janice!" Leslie exclaimed with joy. She jump up and hugged her past senior.

     "Nice to see ya too, freak," Janice Avery gave her a little crooked smile, hugging her junior back.

    Leslie let her go. "What are you doing here?"

     "I just came back to visit. And I heard that you were here, back in Virginia."

They talked over lunch and people kept staring at their table because there was an unfamiliar face.

"So how's college?" Leslie asked.

"Oh I'm taking marketing back in NYU."

"My mom and dad just went there last month," Leslie chirped.

While they were talking, Jess felt like a third-wheel to the 2, possibly because he had no place to but in because they were having their 'girl talk' and stuff. When Leslie 'left', Janice Avery befriended him and tried to stay with him most of the time. It didn't hurt to have an 8th grader friend who was known to beat even girls up because that only meant that Scott Hoager and Gary Fulcher wouldn't touch him. But when it was time for Janice to graduate, he was pretty much alone.

"So is there anybody bullying you here? You know, like I did in the past?"

At last, Jess could participate. "Oh yeah, yeah, there is," he leaned over and put his hand on Leslie's head. "My ex, Sonia Tylers and our classmate-"

Just then, Mandy Jenkins walked up to their table and did that loser hand sign to Leslie. "- Mandy Jenkins." He rolled his eyes.

"Mandy?" Janice repeated. "She's my cousin."

"Your what?" Jess and Leslie said at the same time. Who would've thought that their ex bully in elementary, was the cousin of their now high school bully? That was just so ironic.

"My cousin. Well, technically my 2nd cousin." She answered.

    "You don't happen to know if she's in like a similar situation that you've been to before, would you?" Leslie asked, thinking that maybe there was a chance that she could still be friends with that girl.

    Janice Avery sighed. "That girl being like me? No way. Her parents are filthy rich. She gets whatever she wants. And her parents don't even fight that often. They're pretty sweet actually."