Chapter 21: Reconciliation

Friday was always short. Usually Jess would go home early like the rest of the students but he heard that there was going to be a race going on at the end of school at the field and the winner would get

When he got to the field, he could see a lot of familiar faces but not a sign of Leslie. Scott Hoager, Gary Fulcher and John Gilard were already running ahead of the others. He watched them from the sidelines as they raced.

"Next batch line up!" A teacher called.

      Everyone including Jess lined up at the starting line and went into their positions. He looked from the side, studying his opponents. There weren't much good runners. Just Scott Hoagers, John Gilard and ... He looked at the person beside Hoagers. Leslie?!

Lord, he wanted to talk to her but he didn't get the chance to. "On your mark, get set-" Bang! The runners all shot forward as fast as they could. Hoagers was ahead of everyone, with Gilard at second and Leslie at third while he was in fourth. He pushed himself and pumped harder. In a matter of seconds, he was already tied with Hoager at the front. A fight broke off between the two as they raced towards the finishing line. However, he wasn't worried about Hoager. He knew that someone else was going to catch up with them and pass. He felt it. Leslie was moving up. When Jess ran up ahead of Hoagers, he looked behind him and saw Leslie running ahead of everyone else. Seconds later, she was running beside him. He pumped harder until he was out of breath. But suddenly, he was first.

Fweeeeeet- he heard the sound of whistle and stopped to turn. Everyone stopped as well and looked behind to see Leslie on the ground clutching her ankle. "Leslie!" Jess called and ran over and crouched down beside her. "What's wrong?" He asked nervously. He could tell that she was trying to hold back the tears and the scream because she was biting her lower lip and her eyes were teary.

      The teacher came over and crouched down next to Jess, examining Leslie's leg. He moved her foot and she immediately let out a yelp. There was a big bump around her ankle and was swollen. "I'll bring you to the nurse's office," the teacher told her and was about to help her up when Jess blocked his hand from touching her. "I'll take her there." He said firmly. "Are you this girl's friend?" The teacher questioned. Jess looked back at Leslie and then to the teacher. "I'm her best friend."

Jess helped Leslie up and put her arm around his neck before walking away from the crowd and going back inside the school. "You didn't have to help me you know..." She finally spoke. It was almost a whisper, but he was glad that she was talking to him. He turned to look at her and gave a small smile. "It's the least I can do after all the stupid things I've done to you." She turned away from him and didn't say anything after that which made him slightly disappointed but at least they got to talk.

When they arrived at the nurse's office, he set her down on the bed and explained to the nurse what had happened. The nurse later then left the room to get some stuff, leaving Jess to watch over Leslie. It was very silent because neither of them said anything.

"How's your ankle?" He asked, leaning against the door right across where she was sitting.

"I just sprained it."

"Sprained it? What grade?" He came over and checked her ankle.

She looked at him, amused by his sudden interest. "Where did you learn about that?"

"Um... In one of the books that you made me read. A few months back." He blushed.

"Well, the nurse said that it's only a grade 1 so I can still walk, but at least need something to support on I guess." she answered as she tossed her head back and sighed. "But I can't race for the next few days."