Chapter 4: Greetings

"Jess." Leslie's voice whispered. Jess fluttered his eyes open and found Leslie still sleeping on her bed. He squinted and rubbed his sleepy eyes, letting out a yawn. He looked at the window, noticing that it was broad daylight and he probably had to go home since his parents were probably freaking out by now.

He grunted as he got up from his position and headed to the window. How stupid. He's going to leave by climbing down the tree, possibly risking his own life. Really.

     He looked down at the ground, his nerves getting to him. He gulped as he slowly climbed up the window and got out of the room.

"Jess...?"

Leslie raised her head up and squinted her eyes, the light blinding her. She looked at Jess and rubbed her eyes before sitting up. "Where are you going?"

Jess turned around and then sat on the window. "Back home." He pointed behind him with a small smile before getting off the ledge and walking to her. He stood in front of her and then squatted down. "Mornin' sleepy head," he smiled at her. Leslie smiled back at him in return before stretching her arms out. "Had a good night sleep?"

Leslie gave him a look and raised her eye brow. "Judging by my bed hair..." she touched at her hair, "I'd pretty much say— yeah."

     Both of them laughed at their hearts content as they both reminisced about the happy memories they shared together as kids, Jess carefully avoiding the topic about that day when she 'died'. He didn't really know what to label it.

Jess was pretty glad that she was up and about again, she was just like her old self. Happy, cheerful, and sometimes weird.

     "It's kinda odd, isn't it?" Leslie suddenly began with a tone which made Jess look at her in question. She looked at him and smiled before continuing, "I suddenly cheered up when you came to see me. Maybe that means something..."

Leslie stared into his eyes as Jess did the same thing. He was tongue tied at the moment. What was he gonna do? Did those words mean anything? Was she actually making a move on him? Thoughts were racing through his mind as he tried to think of words to say. Yet he couldn't. No words came out. Not at all.

     "I'm just kidding you weirdo," she chuckled, giving him a playful punch to the shoulder. She then stood up and went over to the window, placing her hands on the ledge to see the scenery. "It looks quite nice out there..."

"You wanna come out?" Jess asked. Leslie tossed her head back proudly the way she always had and then shook her head.

"I can't. Bill and Judy said that they want me to rest first before going out again." She sighed. She turned around to face him and pointed behind. "I think you should go now. your parents must be freaking out right now." She chuckled, imagining what sort of trouble he'd probably get in to if his parents knew what he'd done. Jess nodded his head and then reluctantly walked over to the window and got over.

"Are you sure you want to leave by that way?" Leslie asked, her elbow on the ledge while she rested her chin on her palm.

     Jess raised his brows and shook his head. "I can't go out of your room without being seen. Besides, if Bill saw me, he'd probably kill me." He smirked at the thought. "Your dad might be nice and all, but any father would get mad if they saw a teenaged guy sleeping in his own daughter's room."