Chapter 6

To our dismay, the school semester became so busy that we didn't have a chance to attend any more frat parties, not that I was too eager to go to any more. But, now that it was the end of finals week and December was in full bloom, Beta Gamma Phi was having a huge party for all the freshman, regardless of their affiliation with the fraternity, to celebrate and welcome their newest members. It'd been the talk of the entire town. For some reason this party was freaking me out. Everyone was reminiscing about the past parties so I knew I had to wear something cute. What the heck was I even going to wear?

It had to say that I was fun, yet innocent, a partyer, yet mature. I pawed through my closet eyeing the packs of mini Oreos. If all else failed I was staying home. Jean-Louise knocked on my door before entering in a sweet blue dress. Her hair had been curled in soft waves that hung down to about the middle of her waist. "You're not dressed yet!" she cried, placing her hands on her hips.

"I don't know what to wear." I whined, grabbing a packet of Oreos.

She snatched it out of my hand tossing it out the window and gave me a stern look. "No more junk food, you look like a potato." I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest in disdain. "Oh don't give me that look, everyone loves potatoes, now let's find you something to wear." She sat me on the bed then searched through my closet for something good to wear. Finally she pulled out a little black dress that had been hiding in the back with all my food. "Wear this and those shoes and I'll go raid my mom's jewelry box for some earrings." I quickly unzipped the dress slipping it on. Jean-Louise returned holding dangly silver earrings. "Mama caught me red-handed and threatened to use the belt for sneaking things past her, but here they are."

I thanked her as she zipped up the dress. The earrings dusted my shoulders making me grin like a total dork. "Let's go Cali Girl." We called out to Mr. and Mrs. Wells that we'd be back later. Before we could hear a response, Jean-Louise hauled me right into her dad's pick up truck. "They'll never let us go if we give them a chance." She said, shifting the gear into reverse.

"So this party is a big deal?" I asked.

"Absolutely! Every year Beta Gamma Phi throws this party for their freshman, it's like an initiation into their fraternity, but they let all the freshmen come. It's the biggest party of the year. Twice, the Sheriff has shut them down and last year about 6 people had alcohol poisoning."

I think I wore the wrong underwear. "Dude, maybe you shouldn't go. Aren't you trying to join the Sheriff?" I asked.

"Yeah, but that's not gonna be for another three and a half years, I might as well have fun. Come on Madison, you're gonna tell me you never went to wild parties like this in high school?"

"... Yeah, sure."

She switched her eyes from the road to me, and back. "Wait, is this your first wild party?" My face heated up in embarrassment. Of course it was. My dad still held control over my life, even thousands of miles away and after two years estrangement. I could hear his voice yelling at me to get back into the house.

Jean-Louise waved her hand in front of my face. "You okay?" I nodded, turning towards window.

"I'm just nervous." I shrugged.

"Don't worry, everyone we know will be there plus the seniors don't pay much attention to the freshmen. You'll be fine." She smiled, making a turn on Wright Street to enter Greek Row.

I could hear music blasting from the lit up house up ahead. They'd decorated the entire building in white Christmas lights making it look like a sweet little cottage. Goodness knew nothing sweet went on in there. Dozens of people were crowding the entrance with red plastic cups in their hands. Couples were littered everywhere, some even in the bushes.