Chapter 8

I arrived home close to midnight. The lights were already off inside the house so I snuck upstairs having taken off my heels and gotten a midnight snack. A blue light emanated from under Jean-Louise's door meaning her TV was on, but I wasn't in the mood to discuss the dinner. It probably shouldn't have bothered me what he said about Michelle. She wasn't of my concern, but still as a woman, that affected me. She thought she was living the perfect fairytale and he went and dumped her when she thought they were getting engaged.

I shouldn't have said anything. He shouldn't have said anything either; he should have just steered the subject away. Well, maybe he was trying to but I couldn't let it go because... because I wanted to mess it up? I groaned, slumping on the bed. I wasn't about to shrink myself, but that small disagreement was probably my fault. Thank goodness I was heading back to California so I didn't have to think about it. However, my brain decided that I had to think about every single detail so I took the opportunity to pack up the clothes I should have packed a long time ago since my flight was in a few hours.

What he said was just indicative of how he felt about women so technically, technically, I had dodged a bullet and had a reason to get mad at him. He was being a cocky douche about his breakup with Michelle and I shouldn't allow myself to get caught up in his handsome face because underneath it he was a jerk that would probably break my heart. I put my thoughts to rest and let the packing sit until morning. As soon as I descended down to breakfast at the first stroke of light, the Wells cornered me with questions about how dinner had gone. It'd been perfectly fine up until those few minutes on the porch, so I left that part entirely out and gushed about how lovely their home looked and how nice they'd been.

Jean-Louise shook her head at me knowing that I was excluding a very crucial part of the evening. Mrs. Wells seemed to know something was up too, but she probably figured she'd hear it from Jean-Louise later so I had to defend myself against her. She kept quiet about it throughout breakfast, the whole ride to the airport, and even when we were waiting for the plane, but as soon as we boarded and those doors were sealed, she made me spill every last detail.

I couldn't hold it back anyway so it came out as rushed slur. Jean-Louise groaned and shook her head in discontent.

"Why do you even care?" she asked.

"You didn't hear him. He doesn't even care about women." I replied.

"But he said he liked you."

"And? I don't want to end up like Michelle believing that I'm going to get proposed to and then get dumped."

"Okay, that's messed up, but he's not like that."

"How do you know?"

She leaned in taking a quick glance around the area. "Nothing is ever secret in Blair; remember that. Michelle Crawford was cheating on him with some guy from Georgetown. She thought he wasn't going to find out, but one of the members of Beta Gamma Phi has a cousin that goes to there and he went to a party and he saw Michelle making out with said guy." She whispered.

"Who told you this?" I asked.

"TJ. That's why every guy in the house knew that he was breaking up with Michelle."

"And the whole engagement thing?"

"Well, that's what she wanted the most from him and he would have married her had he not found out she was cheating."

I rubbed my face, lazily turning my head on the headrest. "So I basically made a fool of myself." Jean-Louise lightly patted my head

"It happens."