Chapter 29

The two weeks passed and Tobias finally felt it was time to announce that I was pregnant. His parents were having a dinner party with a few of the members of the country club so Tobias figured that that was the perfect place to give the announcement. I was wearing a long sleeved black dress and the tanzanite pendant Emily had given me for my wedding. Tobias was just about finished getting dressed and met me at the bedroom door.

"You look beautiful." He said, pecking my cheek.

"Thank you, you look handsome as always."

We exited the bedroom heading for the top of the stairs when Tobias suddenly grabbed me by the wrist turning my back to the staircase.

"Should you be wearing heels like that?" he asked.

"What do you mean?"

"They're kind of high for a pregnant woman."

He stepped into my space, pushing me back with his chest.

"Stop, you're going to make me fall." I told him, trying to regain proper footing. "Tobias!"

"You shouldn't be wearing such high heels."

Tobias released me with a thrust. I felt like I was falling in slow motion at first, but the moment my body hit the first stair it all went by too quickly and snapped into darkness.

Bright lights shined over me as I awoke in what felt like a hospital bed. A heart rate monitor was on my finger, and an IV in my arm. A throbbing pain ran down my back spreading all over my head. I tried sitting up, but fell back onto the pillow in dizziness. The baby!

"Oh my god the baby, please tell me the baby is okay!" I cried, pressing my palms to my stomach.

A nurse walked in trying to get me to lie down.

"My baby, is she okay?"

She ordered me to relax then gave me a grave look. Everything in the room seemed to silence except for the sound of her voice.

"... I'm sorry Mrs. Delaney, but the fall caused a miscarriage. Your baby passed away."

I had never known what it felt like to have your heart shatter into a million pieces, but at that moment, I knew. Her voice echoed off as she explained what had happened, but I didn't need to hear it. My baby was dead and it was my fault. Tears welled in my eyes as I buried my face into my pillow. A deep, uncontainable cry of sorrow erupted from my chest and muffled into the feathery contents of the pillow. I heard the nurse tell me the baby had been vacuumed out. My gut curled up into a tight knot. My daughter was dead; the life growing inside of me was dead. One fall and it was all gone. She was vacuumed out as if she were garbage.

How could they do that? She was a baby, a little baby with baby arms and legs. She had a brain, little eyes that opened and closed. She was little, defenseless, she depended on me to protect her and I didn't. I let my baby girl down. The nurse pressed her hand to my back in attempts to make me feel better, but there was nothing she could do.. I'd failed as a mother and she hadn't even been born.

My room door opened with Tobias on the other side. He'd done this; he'd pushed me down! How could he do that? He was an animal! He was evil! He'd killed our baby. I had to do something I couldn't just let that happen.

"You son-of-a-bitch! I hate you, I hate you!" I cried, throwing my pillow at him.

The nurse shoved me down onto the bed, pulling restraints over my wrists.