Chapter 25

Early the next morning there was a knock on the front door. My eyes groggily opened to her darkened room. I reached for my cheek, wincing at the tenderness that still surrounded the area. The knock penetrated into the bedroom bringing me right onto my feet. Jean-Louise was already at the front door, her stance threatening. Tobias always towered over the both of us, so really it was totally easy for him to look over her head to me.

"Baby, I'm so sorry." He said, trying to get past her.

"Wait!" She cried, pushing him back outside.

"You better have a damn good excuse for hitting her." She said. "Let me in and I'll explain." She remained firm at the door until I quietly asked her to let him in.

            He hurried over kneeling before me as he set the bouquet of red carnations on the floor next to my feet.

"May, I am so, so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I don't know what came over me. Please forgive me Madison, I'm so incredibly sorry."

He pressed his head to my stomach, wrapping his arms around my hips.

"You hurt me Tobias, you'd never done that before." I said, lightly pushing him back.

"You can't imagine how horrible I feel. I'm so sorry, please forgive me. I promise I will never do that again."

"This isn't just about you slapping me. You slept with another woman."

"I didn't, you never let me explain. It's true that we were drinking, but all of my staff was there. She was pouring me another glass and before I could even realize what was happening she was sitting on my lap and trying to kiss me."

            Jean-Louise scoffed behind me with a roll of her eyes.

"It's true." He said in irritation as he cast her a sideways glare. "I haven't looked at another woman since I met you. We were drunk and she made a mistake. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry. There is nothing going on between us."

"What's her name?"

"Lynnette."

"I don't believe you."

"Do you want me to fire her, because I'll fire her."

"And have her sue for sexual harassment? Stay away from her."

"I will, but please come home. Please Madison, forgive me, please."

            Jean-Louise stared at me not speaking a word before she stepped into her kitchen. I knew she was warning me not to give in, but what else was I supposed to do? He was begging me to forgive him and it was very plausible that things just got a little crazy. Things got out of hand sometimes. I timidly stroked the back of his head, accepting his apology. In one swift movement he was taking me in his arms and kissing the cheek he'd hit. He picked up the flowers, cupping my hands around the stems then nodded towards the front door. I thanked Jean-Louise for giving me her bed, but she failed to acknowledge my words. My stomach burned with guilt and fear that I was making a mistake.

            Tobias opened the passenger door for me, kissing the side of my head whispering yet another apology. The car ride back was extremely silent however, which didn't help the growing feeling of regret. We'd never had a fight to this degree. His shirt was stilling hanging on the line when we arrived home. I walked up to it and took it down bringing the pins and the line with me. Tobias let me go in first then once I'd walked in he slammed the front door. "Don't, you ever dare try to embarrass me like that again. I'll let it slide this time, but a second time you're going to get an actual beating."