Chapter 24

When recess finally arrived and I sent my kids out in a screaming herd, I shut the classroom door to call Jean-Louise at the station. Hannah, one of the jailers, answered the phone in her lovely Virginian accent. Before I could respond she said, "Hi Madison, I'll get Jean-Louise." I giggled, leaning back in my chair tempted to reach into my special drawer for a peppermint patty.

"And who could I arrest for you today?" Jean-Louise asked, once Hannah had passed the phone to her.

"A cheating husband." I said.

"A what?"

"Yes ma'am, you heard correctly."

"Oh my god, Madison. That's uh... not in the penal code, but I could get him in the slammer by tonight."

"Unfortunately it was the penal code that got him into this."

She let out an awkward laugh before sighing in disbelief. Saying it out loud now almost made it seem completely improbable. He'd changed since college. Since he'd been with me he hadn't even looked at another woman, at least it seemed that way. No, he'd done it; men never deserved the benefit of the doubt.

"Now, are you sure?" she asked.

"I found the evidence."

"And by evidence, do you mean you found her body?"

"Haha, I found her trace on one of his shirts."

"And by trace you mean..."

"A shady lipstick stain and a questionable perfume scent."

"Ugh men. Well you're in the South now Cali Girl, you're allowed to go Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert on him."

A flurry of illegal, yet well deserved actions bustled through my head for a split second. I should definitely invest in a Louisville slugger or a can of kerosene. As the description of his shirt flowing in the wind left my mouth, it suddenly sounded like one of the worst ideas I had ever had. He didn't deserve that, right? "I can't believe you strung up the shirt haha." Jean-Louise giggled to the high heavens. "I'm starting to think it was wrong of me, but he angered me so much. What the hell was he thinking?"
"Honestly May, you should let him explain. Tobias has been loyal to you for the last 8 years, why would he do something like that now?"

            Maybe he hadn't found anyone willing until now. Or maybe he'd just let it slip by accident. "I'll just have to see if he comes home tonight." I shrugged, hearing that recess bell ring sharply.

"Good luck May, let me know how it goes. I have to go, but call me later."

"Alright, have a safe shift Jean-Louise Finch."

"I still can't believe my mom named me after that book."

"It's cute."

"I hope I never fall in love with someone last named Finch."

"If you do, go for it."

"Oh god no, haha, alright now I really have to go."

"Bye."

"Bye."

            At lunch, Tobias tried his hand at calling me again, but my hand was faster and that phone was off for the rest of the day. As I arrived home after wishing my kids a good rest of the day, his white work shirt greeted me on the porch. Our street was quiet with only the rustling of the playful squirrels in the trees. It didn't look as if anyone had been through here all day. My finger twitched with the impulse to take it down, but the sound of Mrs. Whitman's creaking chair pushed me forward into the house. That woman was keeping me strong today.