Chapter 18

Tobias and I lied in the meadow, feeling the breeze sweep through the stems of the flowers and overgrown grass. I was pretty paranoid about bugs crawling into my ears or my hair, but when Tobias clasped my hand, I closed my eyes falling into a deep haze. How did this happen? How did I fall in love with a man I trusted with everything? I turned, looking at his resting form. His eyes were also closed as his chest rose and fell slowly. He was all mine and I was going to love him forever. When the sun began to set, he helped me to my feet then we picked up our picnic mess, crossing over to his truck.

He opened the passenger seat, giving me a hand in then placed our things in the flatbed. My engagement ring sparkled in the fading light. "Do you like it?" he asked. 

"I love it."

"It belonged to my grandma Evelyn and I wanted you to have it."

"It's gorgeous, thank you." I leaned over the gearshift to give him a kiss. 

"I love you so much May, and don't you ever forget it."

I felt my cheeks heat up, making me look down and smile shyly. Did I just reenact a line from a One Direction song? Yes, yes I did. I stared at my ring the whole way to his parent's home. My heart was beating and tingling with so many emotions I couldn't even identify them. Carrie Underwood sang on the radio adding the perfect soundtrack to this moment. I wouldn't mind driving so far with Tobias that we only found static on the radio. He pulled into the garage, giving me a hand off onto the ground then pressed me against the car.

I hated to admit how much I loved the way he looked at me. It was with delicacy and adoration. I wondered if he saw these things in my eyes too. He smiled, kissing me ever so softly as if he were afraid to break me. I clung to his body, trying to take in every sensation running through my body. I wished we could stay like forever, but to my dismay; he drew away and clasped my hand to lead me towards the front door. His family was seated in the living room watching a movie together. Tobias cleared his throat garnering their attention.

He glanced at me for a moment before breaking into his biggest grin yet. "Everyone... We're engaged!" They shot right out of their seats wrapping us up in hugs.

"Oh thank god, I was sure she'd say no." Stephanie laughed, giving me a tight hug.

"Let's be real, I can't resist this man anymore than I can resist the McDonald's dollar menu." I said.

"But you love me more than the dollar menu, right?" Tobias asked.

"A tiny bit more."

He rolled his eyes, pressing me against his side. I slid an arm around his waist, placing the other on his chest.

"Did you like the ring?" Emily asked.

"I love it. I was just telling Tobias how incredibly gorgeous it is." I said.

"It's been in the family for generations. This was the ring great grandma Lily Delaney wore, and the one grandma Evelyn wore and actually the one I wore when we first got married."

"... It means so much to your family, maybe I shouldn't take it."

"Are you kidding? You're a Delaney now and you deserve that ring."

Peter assured, placing an arm around his wife's shoulder. "Thank you so much for all the kindness you've given me over the years." I said.

"We always knew you'd be the one. This boy has been doe eyed since he met you." Peter winked.

Tobias shushed him, turning pink at the cheeks. I reached up giving his chin a little shake. Emily clapped her hands together inviting us into the kitchen for a celebratory drink. My first instinct was to say no, but hell I'd just gotten engaged! She poured us each a glass of champagne and toasted to our wonderful future together. We clinked our glasses together then I took my first drink of alcohol ever. The bitter liquid seemed to slither down my throat like a foreign substance. I held back a grimace, feeling Tobias run a soothing hand up and down my back.