Chapter 34

My hands trembled as I pushed myself up. His words to Lynette were echoing in my ear. An animalistic cry escaped my lips as I shrieked his name. He stopped at the top of the staircase turning back at me.

"I am no longer afraid of you Tobias. You'll be stone cold dead before you get another chance." I said.

"I'm royalty Madison, and kings never die."

He went off to Lynette's room locking the door. For a moment, I weakened at the sound of his words. I would never be able to take him on, but then I remembered all those times I heard my mother beg for her life. I remembered all the times I begged for my life. Then I heard the one thing that sent me over the edge.

I heard him and Lynette up in her room. He'd been cheating on me since day one, lying to me every step of the way. He thought I would be his foolish baby maker. The baby.... Katrina. He'd killed our daughter because she was a girl. He was a sadistic animal and I had to end this. There was no escaping. He would teach his boy to beat his wife like Peter had done to him. I couldn't let that happen. The cycle would end with my children; he wouldn't taint them. I didn't even know where the idea had come from, maybe it was because he'd said that kings never die or maybe because I'd said he'd be stone cold dead, but once it was planted, I knew I had to do it. Their sounds fueled my anger and frustration. The images of every time he'd ever hit me passed through my head like a horribly violent movie.

He'd broken my nose, killed our baby, and made me think it was all, my fault. He made me suffer, and regret the day I ever laid eyes on him. I was stupid. I'd fallen in love and maybe the signs had always been there. Michelle had tried to warn me. She said I didn't have what it took to be a Delaney woman and she was right. I didn't. I wasn't going to lay down my dignity anymore. But this wasn't just about me anymore. This was about my son. He was innocent, and he would remain innocent. The sounds stopped and I'd readied myself with a carving knife. He was notorious in my book for being a 5-minute man.

Tobias had made the naked trek from Lynette's room to ours. He expected me to lie down beside him after that. He truly thought this was okay. I walked into the bedroom keeping the knife behind my back. Hundreds of second thoughts rushed through my head. If I killed him, my son wouldn't have his father. I'd be a murderer and I could go to jail. My son might not have a mother who loved and took care of him.

"Get into bed." He ordered.

"It's your turn."

I closed the bedroom door, walking towards him in slow strides. He eyed me groggily from under the covers.

"You've said a lot to me tonight." I said.

"What? You want me to apologize."

I stopped a few inches from the bed.

"Your apologies are meaningless. Every single one has been a lie just to keep me as your punching bag."

Even from here, I could see how angry he was becoming because I wasn't submitting to him.

"You tried to break me, but let me tell you now, that you didn't. I'm stronger than you think and no matter how hard you try, you will not have broken my spirit. I'm better than you Tobias. In fact, you weren't good enough for me. I settled for you, a small town boy. What was a smart, city girl going to do with you? You tell me I failed as a Delaney woman, but really you failed as a Delaney man. To be a Delaney man all must love you, but I don't love you anymore Tobias. You're disgusting. You're a pig and I should've known better than to fall in love with a rat like you."

He ripped the sheet off of him, getting to his feet. "

Shut your mouth Madison and get into bed." He ordered, hatred dripping from his lips.