Chapter 31

It filled me with relief when the doctor assured me that the baby was perfectly healthy. The strain of the recent tussle had not brought my son any harm. He discharged me, asking Jean-Louise to ensure that what had happened tonight would not happen again. She nodded, placing her arm around my shoulders. The other deputies followed us out to her squad car. As we climbed in, she ordered the other deputies to meet us at the station and clear the area if needed. On the way to the station she apologized incessantly for not being there.

She swore she knew nothing of it. Sheriff Whitley had not made her privy of the information and had asked her to go assist on bringing another inmate into the interrogation room.

"I wouldn't blame you if you did know. I'm an outsider. I walked into this town married its greatest asset then I killed it. Why don't you hate me?"

She glanced at me from the rearview mirror.

"Because I saw what he did to you. I've heard everything you never told me."

"I wanted to tell you."

"You couldn't. I know..."

The station had been cleared of all angry citizens by the time we had returned. Jean-Louise hurried me inside with strict orders to return me to the interrogation room. I resisted her pull just wanting to sleep, but Sheriff Whitley wanted to see me. Jean-Louise undid my handcuffs once we were near the interrogation room. Inside, Sheriff Whitley was seated holding a mug of what smelled like hot chocolate. He asked me to sit down then gently slid the mug to me. I refused to take it knowing he was only treating me this way because I had a Delaney baby in my belly.

That bastard was going to let them kill me and they would have, had my motherly instincts not given me the power to fight them off.

"Mrs. Delaney, we're reaching the end of our holding. You have a few hours left to finish your story before we have to charge you."

Jean-Louise left the room probably to hide behind the mirror.

***

Run. I had to run. There wasn't a safe place in this town, but I had to go somewhere, anywhere. I could go back to California. He'd only been to my mom's house once and that was when we'd first started dating. He couldn't remember the address, could he? It didn't matter. I was going to California whether he knew where I was or not. My decision came only two hours before he arrived from the office, which just barely gave me enough time to pack. I hid the suitcases in the closet behind his clothes. My escape would have to take place tonight.

There was no way I could take living another day in this house with that man. I felt dead inside. I could barely get out of bed, let alone look at him or listen to his voice as he told me he was off to work. I couldn't take his stumbling home at 2 in the morning reeking of alcohol and other women every other night. It revolted me... He arrived surprisingly early and with a bouquet of roses in this hand. I tensed up the moment he leaned down and kissed my cheek, presenting me with the roses. I stared at him, warily, knowing that this was just another ploy to soften me up, but for what? I thanked him, going into the kitchen to set them in some water and serve him his dinner.

He sweetly smiled at me and kissed my hand as I set his plate down in front of him. I took a seat across the table with my own plate. He took his time eating every morsel, being sure to compliment me on another delicious dinner. I took it in silence, nodding ever so lightly in acknowledgement before that set him off. When he finished, I cleared our dishes into the sink and took the time to wash them while he went upstairs for his nightly shower. So maybe that's what it was, he'd seen his mistress tonight and was feeling like a new man. I went upstairs to the bedroom to quickly move the suitcases down to the hall closet near the door.