Chapter 12

If there was one thing I hated the most it was the stereotype that white girls couldn't dance. I sure wasn't America's Got Talent material, but I wasn't afraid to get out there and get down. Whenever dad wasn't home, mom would turn some music on and have us dance. Eric held onto my waist trying to slow me down and keep up. I giggled, having my second brownie bite. The song suddenly switched up to a line-dancing hit and that was my cue to leave. Eric grabbed my hand shaking his head with a grin and pulled me deeper onto the floor. I blushed up a storm unable to keep up or even find my place with everyone's synchronized moves. "This is hard!" I cried. "Haha, just follow me." Eric said, counting me in and out of steps.

I felt just like that guy from Footloose who would just stand off to the side. Finally the song ended and I was taken to the safety of the sidelines. I leaned against one of the wooden beams of the barn to catch my breath as Eric excused himself to go bring me something to drink. All kinds of red alerts went off about letting him bring me my drink, but I was too tired to move and with Stephen the Marine here, I was pretty sure Eric wasn't going to try anything, hopefully. Someone came up behind me, propping their arm on the beam above my head. I turned, feeling my feet get nailed to the floor. Tobias Delaney had found me.

He smiled, leaning in just a little closer. I put my hand to his chest pushing him away and stepped back into my space. "You look beautiful." He said. I rolled my eyes, remembering that Stephen had said Tobias caught all his flies with his honey-covered shit.

"Well, aren't you going to thank me?" he continued.

"You're not the first to say it and you won't be the last."

"Whoa, you've got a bit of a bite to you tonight. What's the matter, Eric not sizing up to others?"

"Haha, actually he's a pretty great guy, not that you'd know."

He chuckled, running a finger down my cheek. I swatted his hand away finally looking at him to give him a nice, sharp glare. "Wait, you're not mad because of the haystack thing, are you?"

It was my turn to chuckle though it came out as a full on laugh. "Please Tobias, what you do is the least of my worries." I told him, looking around his body to see where Eric was. I had traversed this barn and it didn't take that long to go and come back. "Eric's held up." He said, turning my chin towards him. "What'd you do, knock him out and drag him into one of the stalls?"

"He knows better than to argue with his president."

"What the hell do you want, Tobias?"

"You."

"Well, you're not gonna find me down another girl's throat."

"So it did bother you."

"I didn't say that."

"You're implying that."

My body was beginning to heat up with anger. I was not jealous of some blonde bimbo who was easy to spread on a haystack. "Those girls don't get anywhere you know." I averted my eyes to him. "They're not exactly the type you bring home to mother."

"Why do you sound like Rick James?"

"Guess I can't put one past you."

I wanted to grin, but bit my tongue to keep that from happening. "I don't like her, if that's what you're worried about." He further teased.

"For the last time, I don't like you." 

He smiled, jokingly reaching for his chest in faux pain. Jerk. I just wanted to punch him then kiss him, but mostly punch him. Finally, I spotted Eric standing with a group of guys, slipping alcohol into their cups. He should get punched too.