18. I Cause A Mini Tsunami

Hi! XD

Another late update...like, over a week late. Sorry!

Anyway, please enjoy! It's quite a long chapter to make up for the long wait. 

Chapter Eighteen

I woke to the sound of gunfire.

Still half-asleep, I scrambled upright, holding onto one of the seats for support. My whole body ached, especially my left arm and shoulder, but I ignored it and glanced around frantically. "Wake up!"

The others were stirring a few moments before I said that. Annabeth jolted her head up and rubbed her eyes, surprisingly alert. "What's happening?" She demanded.

Will was already on his feet, slinging his quiver over his shoulder and notching a delicate golden arrow in his bow. "Gun shots." He nudged Nico with his foot, who was still on the ground only just beginning to stir. "Get up, come on." His eyebrows were drawn together with worry.

Thalia withdrew her own bow, silver and beautiful, notching an arrow. Her hunting knives glinted at her belt. "What do you think is happening?"

Grover sniffed the air and significantly paled. His eyes turned into goat slits. "Rotting meat?"

Thalia swore.

Annabeth's Drakon bone sword looked sharp and deadly in her hand. "We need to help them!"

I threw the doors open and started sprinting down the stairs, the others at my heels. My breaths were already laboured and my shoulder burned with every step, but my thoughts focused on the kids, sick and hopeless, and Michael; even Amara.

As we neared the bottom, horror began coursing through my veins. Screams echoed through the building: shouts of desperation, cries of agony and the wails of the hungry dead.

Blood was smeared over the once-whitewashed walls and was splattered over the staircase.

We reached the bottom and were immediately pulled into pure chaos. A mass of bodies-dead or alive, I couldn't tell-engulfed us greedily.

I felt Annabeth's hand slip out of mine and I cried her name, but it was muffled by the shouts of people all around me. I was pushed aside roughly and an elbow smacked into the side of my face, sending me stumbling. Someone else fell onto me and I shoved them off, but only after I had fell to the ground. Riptide clattered a few feet away.

A horribly mutilated face appeared above me. Its eyes were milky circles in a sea of black with webs of blood around the outside, and its mouth was ripped off revealing crimson teeth and shreds of muscle hanging from it like a grotesque over-the-top Halloween decoration.

I kicked at it with no avail and it lunged, only to draw back before it completely retreated, giving me one last glance as it disappeared in the crowd of fighting bodies.

Having no time to wonder what in Hades just happened, I desperately lurched to my feet. Through the horde of people, I thought I saw Annabeth's Drakon bone knife, and a few seconds later, a tin can soared over my head.

A hand grabbed painfully at my arm, nails digging into my skin.

I whirled around and swiped with Riptide without really looking, only for my sword to lock hilt with another.

"Watch where you're swinging that thing." Nico snapped and slashed at one of the Infected with his black Stygian iron blade. "We need to get out of here!"

One of the undead stumbled right past me and towards Nico, who dispatched it with ease before turning to the other ones.

I began to realize that the number of people fighting, dead or alive, had decreased and that countless bodies of adults and even some children were strewn across the floor like garbage. Blood pooled and stained the carpet.