4~The Room Through the Wall

I sit, silently, on one of the bottom bunks in the room where the 48 are sleeping. No one else is in the room...just me and my thoughts. A notepad lay in my hand, a pencil in the other. I start sketching. I start with a circle, then erase a few parts of it and make it fit his shape more. Then, I start on the eyes. I curve the lines and draw the pupils. I don't have any color, but if I did I would draw the brilliant brown that are his pupils. I draw the concentrated eyebrows above the eyes. Next, I start with the nose. Carving in the nostrils and making the bridge a lighter shade. Next are the lips. The plump, cracked, dried lips. I carve in the detail of the lips. Then last the hair. The curly brown locks of hair. I swirl my pencil in circles, creating the movement of it. 

I set my pencil down and examine my work. Bellamy. Oh, how I miss the way he would kiss me. He never kissed me long but the amount of passion that came from his lips made up for it. The way his hot breath would feel against my face as he spoke mindless nothings to me when we were alone. 

My thoughts are bombarded by the sound of hurried footsteps and the slamming of the door. I quickly shut the journal and place it under the pillow on the bed. 

Clarke shuffles in hurriedly, taking a seat on the bed opposite mine. 

"What did Dante say?" I ask. Clarke had followed Maya to medical earlier this morning. People were donning protective gear. Clarke stole a key card and ran out. She found a man lying dead from an apparent gun shot wound just as another person was brought in with radiation burns across his body. Clarke had decided to confront Dante Wallace about it. 

"He showed me Shaw's body." Clarke says, fidgeted nervously. "It looked like an arrow wound."

"I thought you said it was a gunshot wound?" I question.

"I know." Clarke crosses her legs on the bed, then uncrosses them. "I think they want us to think it was an arrow wound."

"Are you saying they doctored it?" I ask.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying." Clarke answers. "They want us to think that there are none of our people out there."

Anger takes over me as I fiddle around in my jacket pocket for the map. I whip it out and unfold it. 

"There aren't any exits." I mumble. "But this is where we almost pulled that lever." I take the pencil that I was drawing Bellamy with and draw a tiny make-shift door with a little lever next to it.

"I saw another door almost identical to that one when I was coming back from Dante's office. Right.." Clarke points to a blank space on the third floor. "there."

I draw another door and lever in that space. 

Clarke then looks up at the door as loud footsteps grow louder. She stands slowly and walks over to the door, peering through the window. 

"Oh my.." Clarke says, out of shock.

"What is it?" I ask.

"It's the man that I saw with all the burns. He's almost completely healed." Clarke says.

"What do you-" 

"Shh!" Clarke shushes me, then presses her ear against the door. "They said he needs another 'treatment'." 

"Treatment?" I ask. "Skin graphs?" 

"No. It can't be. Nothing can heal those types of burns that fast." Clarke looks around, then down at her stitched arm. "I need to find out." Clarke walks over to the edge of one of the bunk beds and scrapes her arm against the edge, re-opening her stitches, blood going everywhere.

"You can't go with out me." I say, concerned. 

"Here." Clarke mumbles out of pain. She walks over to me and rubs some of her blood down my arm. "Let's go."

***

"You seem okay. I don't know where this blood is coming from." The nurse says, wiping off Clarke's blood from my arm. "You can go."

"Can I stay and wait until she's done?" I ask, nodding towards Clarke.

The nurse nods and exits the hospital ward. The nurse stitching Clarke's arm seems to be almost finished. I decide to kind of snoop around to room while I wait on Clarke. I look up towards the ceiling and wrapped around the walls are the clear tubing that was in my room. The tubing mysteriously goes through the wall and into an unknown place.

"You're good to go." The nurse doing Clarke's stitches says before exiting.

"Thanks." Clarke mumbles.

Once the door is shut I grab Clarke's attention. "Look, Clarke. These tubes. There were some in my room when I first woke up. They were connected to my IV."

Clarke walks over to where the tubes meet the wall. She pushes on the wall and it slightly gives way. She turns and looks at me confused. She knocks on the part of the wall and the sound echoes. 

"It's a room." Clarke says. Clarke finally bangs hard enough that the wall gives way and falls down. "I think it's a tunnel."

Clarke grabs onto the pipes above her and pulls herself into the tunnel. "Come on." She calls back. 

I move over and grab the pipes above me, just like Clarke and lift myself into the tunnel. I crawl behind Clarke until she comes to an opening. She climbs out and I climb out after her. 

"Oh my god." I gasp.

Grounders are hanging upside down with their blood being circulated through the Mountain Men. There are hundreds of cages in the room and locked away in each of them are Grounders awaiting their fate.