1.0

Katherine leaned against the front of her stepfather's car watching the sun blaze across the Phoenix desert. She felt the skin on her cheeks begin to turn pink contrasting the pale skin around it but she couldn't bring herself to care. In a few hours, she would be leaving her sunny, Phoenix home forever to go the rainy Forks, Washington.

"You alright Kate?"

She looked back to see her stepfather Phil shoving her bag into the back of the car. She liked Phil. He was nice and really cared about her mother, Renee. His baseball career is the reason that she had to leave. He and her mother wanted to go on the road and move to Jacksonville, Florida. Kate didn't blame them. If she could do something like that she would jump at the chance.

"Yea," she said half-heartedly, "It's been years since I've seen dad. It'll be nice."

Phil looked over to where my sister Bella and my mom were hugging, "Well you're happier about it than your sister." He turned his back on her and yelled at the other two, "Guys, come on. I love you both! We have a plane to catch."

Bella and Renee came to the car. Bella stopped in front of Kate and smiled softly at her before getting into the car. Kate gave one last look at her childhood home and got into the car next to her sister. The car ride to the airport was a silent one. Kate put in her headphones and leaned her head against the car window.

The plane ride was very much the same; neither Bella nor Kate said anything to one another both lost in their own thoughts. Not that she really expected anything else. Bella wasn't really one to talk much. She inherited that from their father apparently. Kate was always the odd one out in her family. She didn't know what it was but there was a feeling that she didn't fit in with any family member. She spent most of her time out of the house any time she could or shut away in her room drawing.

"Bella, Kate, over here," Charlie said.

Kate stood on her toes to look over the small crowd in the Seattle airport. In his chief of police uniform, their father stood lifting a hand in the air. Kate smiled and quickly left her sister behind to hug her dad.

"Whoa, kiddo, you've grown up," Charlie said as he put her arms around her.

Kate smiled up at him, "Nice to see you too, Dad."

"Hey, Charlie," Bella mumbled behind her.

Kate spun in her dad's arms to give Bella a confused look. Charlie? She refused to call him "dad"? Bella avoided her gaze. Both her dad and Bella shifted uncomfortably with all of the awkwardness between them.

"So how far is it to Forks?" Kate asked trying to ease the tension.

Charlie snapped out of it slowly, "About four hours. Come on"

If possible, drive to Forks was even more awkward than the journey to Seattle. When they reached the town Kate sat up eagerly looking around the town she only had faint memories of from her childhood. The buildings were rather old and rustic looking that would only fit in around the mountains that surrounded the little town. That was probably the best way to describe the vibe of the town: rustic.

"Your hair's longer," she heard Charlie say.

She saw Bella begin to play with the ends of her hair, "I cut it since last time I saw you."

"Oh, I guess it grew out again." Typical Bella; make a situation more awkward than it had to be.

When they pulled up to the house Kate leapt out of the car and stood there in the gravel just staring up at the house. It was just like she remembered it. The two-story house sat there with its white paint peeling around the edges surrounded by trees that led to a forest. A smile broke out onto her face. Maybe this wouldn't be that bad after all.