4.0

Charlie made Kate stay home from school for a week after she was released from the hospital and confined her to bed rest. When she walked out of the room that day she was rushed in hugs by Bella, Charlie, and surprisingly Jacob. He and Billy had been sitting in the lobby for two days. Billy kept giving her these looks like he wanted to talk but they couldn't find anyway to do it. In the end, he just told her that she needed to come down around the reservation a little and get some more sun; that it would improve her health.

The whole time she sat at home alone she made herself concentrate on making her pillow float across the room. After days of not achieving anything by Sunday afternoon she had moved it to the window on the opposite side of the room. Once everyone got home from work and school she had to pretend like she wasn't falling apart on the inside. Lying to Charlie was easy. She barely knew him and she could dance around the truth like she was a ballerina. With Bella it was different. The two girls had been inseparable since Kate was born so lying to her was more difficult but she managed it okay.

Two days after the change, Kate heard a tapping on her window. When she threw it open she was shocked to see Carlisle's foster daughter Alice standing below. With her inhuman ability she jumped through the window giving Kate a silent heart attack.

"It's okay! I won't hurt you. We're actually going to be great friends," the little brunette chirped way to happily.

Kate gave her a small smile, "Yea, um...so what are you doing here?"

Alice bounced over to Kate's bed and just sat down, "Carlisle sent me. He told me you wanted to start developing your skills. So let's start! He figured you'd be more comfortable at home rather than at a house full of vampires."

Alice was such a bouncy and confident creature that Kate didn't know what to say. She just looked at her for a good, long while before nodding her head and sitting cross-legged on her own bed next to the vampire.

Apparently Carlisle had given her special instruction and exercises to work on. Carlisle was right when he thought she wouldn't be comfortable going to a house full of vampires by herself. They worked for hours into the night focusing on lifting Kate's phone. It was small and lightweight but it took her three hours to do it. Alice explained that she would have to work up to heavier and more difficult objects.

Kate's brain had begun to hurt and she felt tired but Alice insisted that they try one more thing.

"Now close your eyes and imagine that all your energy is going to your brain," the vampire told her.

She did just that. It was almost easy. She could feel the pulsing inside of her and she could almost see it. It was like blue art that all she had to do was put it where she wanted it.

"Open your eyes," Alice whispered.

Kate opened her and Alice had a large grin on her face.

"Excellent! We'll stop there for tonight but we'll work on it a little each night. Take a look in the mirror," she said clapping her hands with another little bounce.

Kate stood up and looked to her bedside vanity. She almost screamed once more because when she looked at her reflection, it stared back at her with glowing blue eyes.

Alice was continuing to come over ever night to work with her. The only problem was that Carlisle pushed Alice to work on her siren's song rather than her telekinetic power. By the time Monday morning rolled around, Kate had successfully commanded Alice to sit down but the moment that Alice completed the command, she was able to stand back up.