11.0

A thunderstorm had rolled into town the next weekend and the Cullens invited Bella and Kate to come play baseball with them. Why vampires would want to play baseball, Kate would never know but she accepted the invitation nonetheless. On Sunday afternoon she was dressed in tennis shoes and a hoodie waiting for Edward to pick her and her sister up.

Kate sat with Charlie reading a book while he was leaning his shotgun. Bella came over with another beer and handed it to Charlie. She took this opportunity to tell them where they were going.

"I have a date with Edward Cullen. Well sort of...they asked Kate to come too," Bella said nodding her head at her sister.

Charlie looked at Kate who didn't look up to meet her father's gaze.

"Isn't he a little old for you?" he asked Bella.

Bella shook her head, "Dad, he's a junior. I'm a junior. I thought you liked the Cullens."

"I thought you didn't like any boys in town," he countered.

"Edward doesn't live in town, technically," Bella explained.

Kate snorted and Bella gave her a pleading look to shut the hell up.

"He's right outside."

"He is?"

"Yea he wanted to meet you officially."

Charlie looked at Bella then at Kate who finally looked up at him.

"And what do you think about him," Charlie asked her.

Kate shrugged not really wanting to give anything away that might incriminate her.

Apparently this isn't the answer that he was looking for. No doubt he wanted her to say that he was a horrible boy and that Bella shouldn't be dating him. But in the end he just let his face drop and he sighed.

"Alright, bring him in," he said with a snap of the shotgun.

Bella grimaced, "Could you be nice? Please? He's important."

Bella went to get Edward while Charlie and Kate exchanged glances. When Edward rounded the corner they both looked a little nervous.

"Chief Swan, I want to formally introduce myself. I'm Edward Cullen," he said shaking Charlie's hand, "The girls won't be out too late tonight. They're just going to be playing baseball with me and my family."

Charlie raised his eyebrows, "Baseball?"

"Yes sir, that's the plan."

"Bella is going to play baseball...well good luck with that."

"I'll take good care of her, I promise," Edward promised, "Both of them."

Bella signaled Kate as she followed her and Edward out of the door. Outside was what Kate recognized as Emmett's Jeep. Edward and Bella were already in the car so she jumped in the back seat.

"So Edward, baseball? Really?" Kate asked as they were rumbling down the road.

"Well, it's the American pastime and there's a thunderstorm rolling in. It's the only time we can play. You'll see why," he replied ominously.

When they reached the field there were supposed to be playing on, Kate saw all of the Cullens messing around on the field. As soon as they got there, Esme dragged the two girls to the side.

"We need umpires," Esme said.

Emmett slung his arms around Kate, "She thinks we cheat," he told her.