9.0

When Sam picked her up from her house the next day he kept looking over at her but never said anything. Kate leaned her head against the window and quietly hummed along to whatever was on the radio. It took almost the whole ride to La Push for him to finally say something.

"What's with you?" he said with a small smile.

Kate snapped her head up, "Huh?"

Sam chuckled, "You're not pissed for once."

"I told Bella."

The car jolted forward as Sam stepped on the breaks a little bit causing Kate to strain against her seatbelt. Sam recovered quickly but began to shake a little bit. Kate knew this to be a danger sign and she was ready to jump out of the moving car just in case.

"What?"

Kate shrugged her shoulders, "It was killing me not telling her. I had to. She swore she wouldn't tell anyone. Besides, if she can keep the Cullen's damn secret, she can sure keep her sister's."

"Did you tell her about the pack," he asked her sharply.

She was somewhat offended by this question.

"No. Why would I? It's not my secret to tell. You'd kill me if I did anyways. But honestly, Sam, I feel better. Really!"

Sam drummed his fingers on the steering wheal as he turned off the normal road and started to drive down a dirt road into the forest. Kate opened her mouth to ask him where they were going but thought better it seeing as how he was still mad.

After a while Sam sighed, "Well at least you're happy. I was worried you were going to become like Paul with the way you were acting."

Kate laughed, "The world can't handle another Paul."

He slowed down the truck when they came in front of a house that seemed to be secluded right in the middle of nowhere. The house was a beautiful two-story house with wooden sides and flowerboxes in the windows. When the car stopped Sam got out with a small smile. Kate watched him as she got out too and noticed how the years and stress seemed to fade away. She watched as he changed from a big, bad alpha to a normal boy. This made her smile too.

Kate followed Sam up the stairs but stopped when he suddenly turned to look at her.

"Listen, Kate. There's someone I want you to meet. She's been bugging me about it for weeks now. Just do me a favor and don't stare," Sam halfway ordered.

She screwed her face up in confusion, "Stare at what?"

A look of true pain crossed his face and Kate had to resist the urge to hug him.

"My mistake."

With that, he turned and walked right through the front door. Kate paused for a second not knowing what to expect. She steeled herself and walked in after him. The inside of the house was just as lovely as the outside. It was open and warm. There was a large kitchen that had wonderful smells drifting from it. If possible, the smells were better than the smells of Esme's cooking. There was a large table right in the middle of the room where Paul and Jared sat.

"Princess, glad you could finally make it," Paul smiled at her.

Kate sheepishly smiled back not really knowing what to do. Jared waved her over to sit next to him at the table and she gingerly sat in the chair. She just looked around. Just then, a woman walked into the room followed closely by Sam. This woman was stunning. She had beautiful, dark features and silky hair that was tied in a lose knot at the base of her neck. Kate understood what Sam had said when he had made a mistake. On the right side of Emily's face, were three long claw marks that went from her temple to her jaw. With a sickening feeling she knew that it was Sam who had done that to her. Kate instantly pitied her friend who what he did to the woman he loved.