3.0

Kate was vaguely aware that she was lying down. She was so tired. Her whole body and head hurt. Her head was pounding and she didn't dare open her eyes so she lay there in pain. She heard voices that caused her to fight whatever was trying to drag her back to sleep.

"I don't know how much longer I can keep her isolated. She needs to wake up or else someone's going to find out."

"We did this."

"We didn't know."

"Doesn't change the facts."

"She'll be scared when she get's up. We have to tell her."

"What?"

"She'll think she's all alone."

"She's dangerous."

"Only if she can't control herself."

"She's fifteen, no teenager can control themselves."

Kate heard a long, deep sigh, "We have to help her."

"Don't you remember what she can do to us?"

"That's why we have to help her."

She then heard angry footsteps and a door slamming before the darkness pulled her under once more.

The next time she could wake up she lay there like before just listening for any sign of any voices. There were none. She chanced opening her eyes but then shut them immediately afterwards. As soon as she shut them, she heard clattering all around her like things were being thrown at the floor.

"Easy there," said a calm voice. "Take it slow, you're body has been through a lot these past two days."

Kate shied away from the voice but listened to it anyway. She slowly tested opening her eyes and found herself blinded by light. It took a few seconds of blinking to fully open her eyes. Turning her head she saw a beautiful blonde mad sitting to her right side. Looking him up and down she saw that he had a doctor's coat on.

"I'm Dr. Cullen. I oversaw your care while you were unconscious," he said in a beautiful voice. It was then that she realized that his voice was one of the voices talking while she was dreaming.

"What's happened doc?" she asked hoarsely.

The doctor stood up and handed her a glass of water. When she finished taking some slow sips, he removed the cup from her hands.

"There's no easy way to say this, Katherine," he began.

"It's not cancer is it?" she asked.

Dr. Cullen gave her a sad smile, "No, it isn't."

Kate struggled to move a little bit in the end managed to sit up without too much pain from her groaning muscles.

"Then what is it?"

Dr. Cullen sat down at the edge of her bed and looked at his feet, "Did your father ever read you stories about princesses and monsters?"

"I'm sorry?"

Dr. Cullen didn't answer her question but looked up at her expectantly.

It took her a second before she could answer because the pounding in her head was starting to creep back.

"Sort of, they were like Quileute legends."

"What legends?"

Kate was starting to get tired of this and she just wanted to know what happened to her, "Doctor please just..."