16.0

When she reached Forks, Kate immediately went to her room and shut the door. She didn't want to talk to anyone. She and Charlie had made up and he thanked her for going to get Bella. The same couldn't be said between her and Bella. Neither girl forgot the words that were said in the hospital room. Kate ignored the numerous calls from Paul and Jared but after a few hours they stopped. She figured that Emily told them to leave her alone.

But she didn't want to be alone. Not really anyway. She wanted to talk to someone who wasn't involved in any of this. She contemplated calling Jessica but really didn't want to deal with incessant babbling about prom. So, Kate sat on her window nook and spent the evening drawing. At first the drawings were pleasant. She drew Jacob's car, Carlisle's living room, and she even drew some beautiful spring flowers. This didn't last long. Before she knew it, she was drawing dark figures, James, and the shadow that haunted her dreams all those days ago.

She went to sleep that night dealing with dark demons that seemed to but just at the edge of her vision. Once again, she had the dream of the wolves and the shadow. It was only a few hours before she woke up screaming after her dream self hit the water. Kate ran to the window to open it and let the fresh air in. The April winds immediately whooshed into the room. She took a deep breath and felt the tears on her cheek go cold.

Was it so wrong that she didn't want her sister to die, even if that meant she became a vampire? The worst thing in the world, she thought, would be to lose her sister. At the ballet studio she'd felt so helpless while her sister was writing on the floor. The image still burned in her brain. She wished she were strong enough to kill James. Right then and there, Kate swore to herself that she would never again feel like that.

The next morning Kate was getting ready to call Sam to tell him she wanted to practice when the door rang. She heard Charlie open it and begin to talk to someone. When she went downstairs, Kate's heart almost burst open. She practically ran at Billy and Jacob who stood in the doorway. Kate launched herself into Jacob's arms that securely wrapped themselves around her. Since the nightmare started Kate hadn't felt safe until that moment. They didn't say anything for a while but held on tight.

"I'm glad you're back," he whispered in her ear.

"Me too," she whispered back.

Billy's voice interrupted them, "We're all glad you girls are back and safe," Kate pulled back from Jacob and hugged Billy in his wheelchair, "Jake here was bothering me about seeing you as soon as you got in town."

Kate smiled, "Well bother away. Do you want something to drink?"

"Two beers," Charlie told her.

She smiled at them as she walked away. She heard Jacob's footsteps behind her.

"So are you really okay?" she heard him ask her.

Kate ducked into the fridge to avoid answering for a moment. When she reemerged, she faced Jacob and sighed, "Honestly?"

"Always."

Kate grabbed a bag of chips, "I've been better but I've also been a whole hell of a lot worse. Bella's just put me through a lot these past couple days. I'll get over it in a few days."

Jacob nodded and grabbed the bag of chips. He gave the stairs a fleeting glance before following her into the living room.

"How is she?" he asked her.

She handed the beers to Billy and Charlie before sitting on the second couch with Jacob, "Surprisingly good, really good actually. It's weird."

Jacob snorted, "You'd think falling out a window would make you crazy."