Chapter 4: The Date

'So it's a date?' said Alice, giggling and clapping her hands from joy of gossiping.

'No, not really. It's just to get to know him a little better.' I shrugged, but Alice kept smiling big and wide.

I looked away from her eyes but when I looked back she was still smiling like an idiot and I tried not to smile, but ended up laughing out loud.

'oh my god! It is!' she exclaimed and clapped again.

'No! no its not it can't be! Are you crazy?' I asked, smiling myself but being serious about it too. It'd be a little weird if I just started dating my boss. Would I call him my boss? I guess in a way.

'I hope you get married. Do you think he'll propose?' she asked, and, using her amazing acting skills, made it seem like she was serious. I leant forward with my mouth agape in shock until she nudged my arm and I broke the stare with a chuckle.

'You want a toastie?' I asked, breaking apart from the topic.

'Yeah, I'm kinda hungry.' And with that we left to go downstairs. While I was halfway down the stairs Alice said loudly, 'I hope it's a diamond ring!'

Chuckling, I shouted back, 'Yeah and I hope he'll let me live in that house. Its huge.'

'You think he's rich?' she asked, seriously. Her eyebrows creased up and mine did a little too in thought. When I shrugged she asked, 'What job does he have?'

And I turned around in frustration, even though chuckling while saying, 'I don't know! That's why we're going on the date!'

She clapped her hands again and while rushing to the kitchen jumped and giggled. Then she said, 'So it IS a date!'
I rolled my eyes but kept a half smile, then I got to work with the food.

✖️

The ice-cream shop wasn't big but I saw a few people already sitting inside. The park was opposite the shop so I hoped to get a window seat but I didn't know if he was already inside. I saw children playing out in the park with dogs or just on the swings and slides. I secretly hoped that I'd be able to visit the park often with joe.

I slid inside quietly awakening the little bell handing above the door and looked around. The inside was nice and pastel blue with the lady behind the counter offering a big smile. I smiled back and turned around on my heels to find Michael sitting near the corner with the window view.

I walked over with my shoes clicking against the bold floor and my hands in the pockets of my coat.

'Hey,' I said, smiling. He finally looked up from his phone and noticed me.
'Oh sorry, hi. Sit down'

He put his phone away and tried to smile. Even though he tried it didn't look convincing and I took a guess that something was wrong.

'Everything okay?' I asked as I took my coat off and put it on the comfortable seat next to me. He nodded but still answered the question and proved my guess right.

'Yeah it's just that Joe has been acting a little down.' He hugged his elbows while I became alarmed. Was I going to be fired on my (not even) second day?
'It is because of me?' I said, eyes wide and mouth slightly open. He must have realised my worry and corrected himself.

'No, no. it's just...' he trailed off, and I was certainly not less worried.

'He doesn't like me?' I broke the silence and he shook his head firmly while still not looking at me in the eyes.

'No it's just... it's a long story.' He sighed in between the two phrases.
I paused and pressed my lips together in a pale line. 'You're the one who doesn't like me?'