Chapter 7: Over Night

I was confused, to say the least. She was the mother of Joe? Erica... it played over and over in my head. I had little understanding of the situation yet I felt hatred towards her already. Why would she blame Michael for something that could have happened to anyone?

I looked over to Alice, which was already rising up from her chair. There was a tension in the room as Erica stared right into Michael's eyes and he stared right back. Then her squinted eyes suddenly shot at me, and I felt attacked. I remembered my arm around joe and I wanted to let go, yet I couldn't. I hugged him tighter from the fright.

'What is she doing to my son?' she said quietly and furiously. Her eyes sparkled when she was angry, unlike Michael and Joe, whose eyes sparkled when filled with joy.

'She's doing a better job than you ever did.' He snapped back, protecting me from her words.

'Oh please! I would be a better mother than both of them together.' She laughed and threw her head back. But her laugh had no humour in it and her eyes glistened as she gave me another death stare, featuring a smile.

'But you didn't. You threw him out before he was even three months old.' He only whispered. I could tell he was angry she was here, his voice was brittle and sharp, not as much as hers yet similar.

'I didn't throw anyone out! You're making up plain white lies.' She insisted, staring at him yet often flicking her stare at me and Joe. Rarely at Alice.

'You left me and him when he wasn't even three months old!' he screamed back, louder. She smiled and laughed at the reaction she was getting from him. I hated her so much already, she made him so angry.

'I just finished nineteen.' His jaw wobbled. He bit his lip and I wish I could hug him again, I wish I could do something. But I didn't. I just sat there and watched the whole scene, trying not to get involved.

'I didn't know what to do...' he trailed off, his stare at the floor, away from her eyes.  I could tell he felt worthless and helpless, and I hated that. I wish I could kiss him so much.

'I had to leave everything behind...' he sighed.

'Yeah, all your precious money and all the girls falling at your feet for your money and fame.' She said sarcastically. I wondered what she was talking about. I thought what on earth he was on about too. Leave what behind? Erica clearly couldn't be trusted on what exactly he meant.

'You were one of them once.' He said sourly.

'But I realised how truly shitty you are. That's why I left.' She barked back, yet then she looked also at the floor and shook her head. 'But I never forgot about you... or him.' She said, gently pointing to Joe.

I hugged him tighter and I felt scared as if she was going to attack me again.
He looked at Joe and then remembered I was still here, and then looked over at Alice and remembered she was also in the room. He looked back at me and we kind of stared into each other's eyes for a while. He must have felt ashamed that he just admitted so much in our presence and probably said something that he didn't want said out loud.

'I think you should leave.' He looked back at Erica and she looked more sad than angry like she did before. She shook her head while making her lips seem like she was upset and offended.
'Can't we talk outside instead?' she asked hopelessly.

He swallowed a lump and when I thought he was going to go back to joe and tell her to get out, he looked at me and then agreed to go outside with her.

'Only if you be quiet.'

The door shut and Alice looked at me with wide eyes and I looked back at her with the same expression. I kept shaking my head in disbelief and shock, not knowing what to say.