Chapter 12: The Fight

I woke up to sunshine on my face, the blinds set free as I forgotten to close them when I left for the hospital a few days ago. At first I was calm, I heard birds singing outside, I saw my flowers on my bedside table blooming, I heard the muffled conversation downstairs, I felt the warmth of the sun of that beautiful day. I turned to lay on my back, take it all in. I felt the fresh yet warm air from the slightly opened window, I felt the comfortable sheets beneath and between my legs. I felt relief.

But then I realised what the conversation downstairs was about.

'So she's going back to work today?' I heard my mum say.

What? Who? Was that about me?

'Yep. Today's the day he's getting out of hospital. It's all going to be fine from now. So she can come back to work and help him out too.' I heard a male voice say. It sounded like my dad, but my dad should be at work already, so I guessed it was Michael. It had to have been.

I was in a rush, suddenly. Instead of the singing of birds I heard screeching, instead if the warmth of the sheets I felt it burning my eyes, instead of fresh air I felt freezing. It all went to hell.

I swung my legs from my bed too quickly, resulting in a dizzy head. I still had my pyjamas on, or should I say a shirt and underwear, but nonetheless I got quickly out of bed. I got my robe and lazily threw it around my body to cover me up before rushing downstairs.

When I got downstairs, I didn't know what to say before turning the corner. But I did anyway. I shouldn't have, because if it was Michael I wouldn't know what to say, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to even stutter my way through my words.

I turned the corner at the end of the stairs and spun on my heals. Who was seating in the kitchen surprised me. He was talking to my mum about something I thought I knew of.

'oh.' I said, bluntly.

'Morning.' He said and gave a smile.

'Morning, dad.'

I shook my head. I really thought it was Michael. I breathed out a sigh of relief though, it could have been him.

'I thought you were at work?' I questioned.

'I was but I got a day off because I need to help out Oscar.' He explained, but it didn't explain anything to me.

'What happened to Oscar?'

'He's at the hospital. But he's leaving today and still needs help.'

'What happened?'

'He was in a car accident.' He pursed his lips into a thin line.
'Oh.' I repeated. 'Tell him I wish him to get well.'

I looked to my mum then to my dad and then to my mum again.

'Who were you talking about earlier? The girl who needed to start work today?' I asked, still not taking it in that it wasn't Michael. I hoped it was for some reason, even if I wasn't going to see him any time soon.

'His personal assistant.' My dad explained.

There was a moment of silence as none of us said anything and stared at the floor or other objects.

'Speaking of work, why aren't you going to work? Shouldn't you be there already? Or somewhere, at least?' he asked with his eyebrows creased up a little. God, how do I explain this?

'Joe just came back from the hospital and Michael wants to look after him himself for today.'

God what a shit lie. I'll have to think of something else for tomorrow.