Day 1 - Sunday

November 6, 2016

Candice

What am I doing? Geez, I wish someone could answer this question for me. I mentally question my motives as I walk into the house party with Mario's arm around my waist. I remain expressionless as he holds me tightly. This isn't right. Oh, this is so damn wrong. How the hell did my cousin, Kerri, talked me into making a bigger mess out of my love life? I take a deep shaky breath as I let my thoughts roam all over the damn place.

Deep down inside, like really deep, I recognize that what I'm doing  happened to be sort of childish. I just don't know what else to do.

I'm a senior and found myself still playing childish mind games. All for the love of a man. Elliot Johnson, my first real serious boyfriend, dumped me three weeks ago. We were together for two years, and he decided that we were a little too serious. He told me that's not what he wanted from us. He thought that we would be better as friends, but that was of course after he took my virginity.

I hold back my tears as I revisit the conversation mentally. I glance at Mario who looks too good for me to really be upset with my decision to use him to make Elliot jealous.

Mario and I have a past history of hatred for one another that goes all the way back to sixth grade, when he felt the need to take the frog that we were supposed to dissect and throw it in my school bag. I could have killed him, and I bet that I would have gotten away with it. He's the guy that every girl is crushing on and naming her future babies after him. He's a star athlete and currently plays basketball at Proviso West. He's one of the team's golden boys.

Besides, being the best on the court, he's also made quite a reputation on campus at being the biggest hoe. Most girls don't really care, because of his good looks and the fact that he's a star athlete, with a chance of possibly getting drafted later. I'm not most girls. I look pass his honey colored eyes, six foot two stature, muscular body, boyish grin, and his damn dimples. Oh, those damn dimples. It's easy, because when he opens his mouth, you can't help but to smash Cupid's bow and arrow.

He has always been a thorn in my side, and I'm sure that I'm equally a thorn in his side. Naturally, when Kerri, my older cousin, had suggested that I pretended that Mario was my boyfriend, I had to make sure she wasn't high off any meds. After a couple days to think about what she said, I approached Mario, and he was on board, after making a couple unnecessary comments about what I do for recreational fun.

It only made sense that Mario and I played this game to make Elliot jealous. Mario Jackson isn't a bad looking guy. I glance at him quickly as he gives the nod to a couple guys on his basketball team. He looks back at me and smirk. I refrain myself from rolling my eyes at him as I notice how long his lashes are. Damn, a girl would kill for lashes like that. I turn away from his deep honey brown eyes, preparing to play my new temporary part. Mario's girlfriend.

Mario brings his lips down to my ear as he holds me much closer to his body. "Be in love, Candy."

I give a slow nod looking straight ahead. Be in love. Be in love. This is much easier said than done. My heart is with Elliot. My eyes meet his and he notices Mario's arm around my body. I notice the little light skinned chick grabbing his hand as the next song begins to play. Just for a little more jaw dropping affect, I stand on my toes and kiss Mario's cheek.

Game on, bitches.

*****

I stand against the wall, sneaking glances at Elliot. He hasn't looked at me once all night. I hate house parties more than I hate Mario. Speaking of which . . . I quickly look around the party. Where the hell did my date go? Did he seriously disappear on me?