Angst and Amour (Hotch x Reader)

"(Y/N)! My office, now." Hotch called out sternly. He shot you a disapproving look before vanishing back into his office.

You glanced nervously at Prentiss and Morgan as you headed towards your boss' office. Prentiss gave you a clueless look and Morgan just shrugged. You sighed and bit your lip as you entered the lion's den.

"Yes sir?" You asked and tucked a strand of your red hair behind your ear.

"The paperwork you handed in last night." Hotch pulled out a stack of files and set them down rather heavily on the desk in front of him. "They're incomplete." He looked up at you, his voice sharp and on edge. You tried to search your mind for any explanation as to why he'd been so hard on you lately, but you came up empty.

"I looked them over twice before I gave you them, Hotch." You tried to defend yourself.

"The coroner's reports are missing." He shot back almost immediately. You swallowed nervously.

"Miami P.D. hasn't sent them over yet...?" You raised an eyebrow at your boss. He was never this hostile towards any of the other team members. Little did you know why he was acting this way.

"It's your job to get them, (Y/N). Don't make me talk to you about this again." Aaron dismissed you.

You grit your teeth and headed for the door. "Yes sir," you angrily muttered under your breath and closed.

2 days later...

Hotch cleared his throat as he walked up to you, Morgan, and Prentiss in the bullpen. Your conversation suddenly grinded to a halt and you spun around to see your boss looking nervous.

"(Y/N), could you step into my office for a second?" He asked, his tone much kinder this time. You pushed up your glasses and followed him.

Hotch took a seat at his desk and motioned for you to sit down in the chair across from him. You gave him a quick smile and obliged.

"I'd like to apologize for the way I've been treating you lately..." Aaron started. There was a certain warmth to his voice that you had never heard before.

"Really, Hotch, that's not necessary-" You tried to tell him.

"If you don't mind, I'd really like to get through this..." He cut you off and gave you a small smile. "I've been doing some thinking, and the reason I've been acting so defensive is because..." Hotch took a deep breath and fidgeted slightly with his hands. You'd never seen him nervous like this before. "Well, it's because I like you." Aaron blurted out.