Chapter TWENTY TWO: Rings & Other Things

KENNETH

Last night was amazing. Sex with other girls was fine, but with Nyla, it meant so much more. It was deeper because we had a connection. She meant the world to me, and I didn't want anything to come in between that. I was happy that she had finally conquered this hurdle in her life, like she did with most things. She is one of the strongest people I know and I knew she would be able to overcome her paralysis. 

She was taking a while downstairs, I wondered if she had fallen down the stairs or something. I got up, and put on some jogging pants. I saw her standing at the door, I went and joined her side and saw Gabrielle. 

"Hey Kenneth." She smiled. 

Nyla stood silent, staring at the floor and I wrapped an arm around her waist. I gave Gabrielle a once over and noticed her pertruding stomach. 

"That's right. We're having a baby!" She annouced as she noticed me staring. 

"We who?" 

"You and her." Nyla said in a soft, cracky voice. 

"Nah, I wrapped it up everytime." I was never one to deny having a child, but it seemed like just when everything was so right, it all came crashing down. I didn't want to hurt Nyla again, but it seemed to be a vicious cycle. 

"Condoms break, Kenneth, and there were a few times we fucked without a condom, don't try and fuck with me." Gabi barked. I've never seen her this damn defensive. Not even when I left her for Nyla. 

"So, are y'all gunna let me in or what?" She smirked. I stood to the side and let her pass. She slightly brushed Nyla and she fell. I saw the anger flash in  her eyes as I tried to help her up. 

"Don't touch me." Nyla said as she raised her hand to me and used the door to help herself up. She took her time getting up and headed upstairs. 

"She's pathetic." Gabrielle scoffed.

"Watch your mouth." I warned her, "How far along are you?" 

"About 4-5 months." She answered.

The time frame added up, but I still wasn't sure. 

"It's your baby, Kenneth. I haven't fucked anyone since I went back to NY and even before I came here. So don't try and deny it. I'm not some type of hoe. I fell in love with you, I did my best to accept the fact that you got somebody, that you aren't in love with me. But, just when I felt myself getting over it, I found myself knocked up." She rolled her eyes. 

"You couldn't have picked a worse time." I sighed putting my head in my hands. 

"It takes 2, boo. So, don't front on me now. You know you missed me." She said as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I looked down at her but said nothing. She placed a soft kiss on my lips, I wanted to push away, but I didn't. 

"Get off my daddy." I heard Mackenzie say as she stormed into the living room and pushed Gabrielle away from me. I picked her up, and shook my head. 

"Why'd you let her do that, daddy?" She asked as I sat her down on the kitchen stool.

"You're too young to understand." I told her. I didn't understand myself. She frowned and hopped from the stool heading back upstairs. 

NYLA

I started to cry as soon as my head hit the pillow. I felt that what made me special was the fact that I had Kenneth's only child. Now he was having a baby with Gabrielle. I could see it in her face, she was being malicious. I knew Kenneth loved me, and I also knew he loved his kid. I couldn't help but think about the possibility that he'd leave me for her. Gabrielle was a beautiful girl, that was undenyable. She also wasn't all fucked up the way I was. I heard the door open and small footsteps followed. Mackenzie came and stood next to my bed, she climbed up and I moved back so she had room to curl up  in front of me.