Chapter 5: Celebration and Goodbye

Adrian and I turned around and walked down the aisle with our arms locked together. Once outside the chapel, we unlocked our arms and faced each other. I kept my gaze to the ground and thought about what had happen.

"Congratulations."

I turned my head to see the our grandparents walking towards us. Pietro shook his grandson's hand while Maria gave me a kiss on a cheek and a hug. "Welcome to the family," she said to me. I gave her a nod.

I turned around and gave my grandparents a hug. "We love you Vera," Grandfather said to me. "I love you both," I said to them. I held my tears back. I pulled away and gave them a smile. "Time to take some wedding pictures," Pietro said to us.

Adrian escorted me to a room where our pictures would be taken. Our grandparents were giving us some alone time. The photographer looked up at us. "Mr and Mrs. Minetti. It's an honor to be at your presence as well as take your pictures," he said to us. "Indeed," Adrian said to him. I kept myself silent at watched them have a conversation for a few moments.

After their conversation, the photographer finished setting up his camera. "Alright. The newly weds please stand in front of the camera," the photographer instructed us. Adrian brought me in front of the camera and wrapped his arms around me waist. He brought me closer to him so that there was no space between us.

Automatically, I placed a hand on his chest and held my bouquet on the other hand. My face felt a bit hot from his touch. Force yourself to smile. I tried to smile. "Perfect," I heard the photographer say while he took a picture. 

We took about five different pictures. Next thing I knew, the day had went by. I had to say that the pictures came out better than I had expected. "I'll have these developed right away," the photographer told us. Pietro had entered the room.

"Lets go and celebrate," Pietro said to us. We walked to the cars that were parked in the parking lot. Surprisingly, I did not see any paparazzi in the area. The Minettis must really made sure that nobody knew about the wedding.

Adrian's driver was waiting for us. Adrian escorted me tot he car and opened the door for me. I got inside and made sure that my dress was inside the car. He closed the door and walked to the other side of the car.

He got inside the car and wore his seat belt. "To the Minetti Mansion," Adrian instructed the driver. "Yes. sir," the driver answered and drove out of the parking lot. Throughout the ride, I stayed quiet and looked out of the window.

I watched the buildings go by as the car drove up the street. I tried to take in the scenes that I passed by me. It was going to be the last time that I see them. Tomorrow, I would be on a plane to New York City with Adrian. 

At the corner of my eyes, I could see Adrian looking out of the window on his side of the car. I still wasn't used to the idea that he was my husband. In time, I would have to accept the fact that I am married to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once at the Minetti Mansion, Maria took me away to a room so that I could change into something comfortable. I liked to continue to wear the wedding dress but, it felt suffocating if I wore it for long period of time.

Maria had me wear a grey and white wrap dress with metallic grey high heeled sandals. I remembered something. I looked at Maria who was tying the dress for me. "Why wasn't Adrian's parent at the wedding?" I asked her.