Going Home

Chapter Thirteen (Toby’s POV)

            Seeing my family again after being gone a year was overwhelming, I loved them and missed them so much. It would have been all good had my mom and older brother were here. Just thinking of that made me sad, I lost them because of someone need for power and money.

            He was gone now, but it didn’t bring my mom or Tyler back. Nothing was ever going to bring them back. However I wasn't alone, I have my dad and Tabitha. I also had Declan, I smiled as I thought back to this morning.

            I wasn't going to lie, the moment I saw Heidi walk into the room, I thought I lost him. That I was just kidding myself that he would be with me, but he proved me wrong. He wanted to be with me and I wanted to be with him. All that was left was seeing my dad and Tabitha.  

            The taxi pulled up to my house, it still looked the same. I took a deep breath and got out, a whole year away from my family. Would they be happy to see? Would they believe me when I tell them where I have been for the past year? Would they like Declan? All these questions and more went through my head as I walked to the front door.

            I took another breath before I rang the doorbell. I waited a while before I rang it again, I really wished Declan could have been here with me. Even though it was just my family, it would have been nice to have him here with me.

            I heard the lock click into place and the door opened, it was Simon our butler. He has been with our family for as long as I could remember and he was like an uncle to me. He stared at me as he eyes started to water. “Toby is it really you?” I nodded my head, I was finding it hard to talk.

            He stepped closer and hugged me as I started to cry, I didn’t think it was going to hit me this hard. I never truly realized just how much I missed them all. “Toby you have no idea how worried we were when you disappeared. Your father and sister were so heartbroken when you never showed up to your birthday party or that you never came home.”

            He hugged me again, “Come, come your father will be happy to see you.” He looped his arm around mine and led me inside the house. “You have no idea how much this house changed when you went missing. It was the same way when your mother and Tyler passed away. I have never seen your father so heartbroken and Tabby was too, she had even stopped singing.”

            “Where is Tabby?” I was expecting her to show up and greet me, just like she always did when I came home.

            “She is a friend’s house, she spends a lot of her time there. Your father always working, she got tired of stay home alone. 

            He led me down the hallway to my father’s home office. “He is going to be so happy to see you, he could really use some good news right now. With everything that happened last night with Clayton, he could use a smile right now.” I let Simon tell me everything I already knew about Clayton. From the sound of it, my father was facing a media crisis right now.

            “You know, you would never think Clayton would do something like that. Who knew he was such a psychopath.” We stopped in front of my father’s office and Simon knocked on the door. “Mr. Bennett someone is here to see you.” We waited for him to reply back.

            “Come in,” Simon opened the door and stood off to the side to let me in. I walked inside his office, it still looked the same. My father sat at his desk looking at papers on his desk. He looked tired and stressed, I wonder if he had been like this since I went missing.